Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone own a 16' G3 Aluminum boat with a 37HP Gator Tail on the back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone own a 16' G3 Aluminum boat with a 37HP Gator Tail on the back?

Originally posted by Txaggie16 View Post
    What do you mean? 10k for a performance built mm?

The gentleman is willing to sell me his 2015 37hp Gator Tail alone for $6,500. No mods and only 6-7 hours. What do you all think about that? I'm trying to keep it at or under $6,000.

I think $6k for that motor is a good deal with only 6-7 hours on it. I have this motor as well. It’s all stock and pushes my 18-54 prodigy about 28 mph. If I were buying new today I’d buy the 40 gtr and leave it stock. I’m not into modding.

Oh and 28mph is by myself without much of any load. More around 24-25 when I’m loaded with fishing gear etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by b.latiolais; 12-13-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah 10k for a full blown 43 performance engine w the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Txaggie16 View Post
        What do you mean? 10k for a performance built mm?

The gentleman is willing to sell me his 2015 37hp Gator Tail alone for $6,500. No mods and only 6-7 hours. What do you all think about that? I'm trying to keep it at or under $6,000.
        I don't think $6K is bad for that motor, but if he is already saying $6K before you even looked at it I would be offering less! I saw an ad on Houston Craigslist though that sounded like the same rig and the price seemed high.
        (1652 G3 Boat with 2014 Gator Tail 37 EFI; Duck Hunting/Fishing Boat - $14500)

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
          I don't think $6K is bad for that motor, but if he is already saying $6K before you even looked at it I would be offering less! I saw an ad on Houston Craigslist though that sounded like the same rig and the price seemed high.
          (1652 G3 Boat with 2014 Gator Tail 37 EFI; Duck Hunting/Fishing Boat - $14500)
          Yeah, that is the one. I kinda know him so I'm talking it through. I wasn't going to buy the package deal for anywhere around $14,500 however. I'm debating the $6,500 though even though I do not currently have a boat to fit it on.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
            Yeah 10k for a full blown 43 performance engine w the drive.
            Yeah I don't want to spend that much for a motor. I think the 37 would be plenty for me while I get used to driving a mud motor!

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
              I think $6k for that motor is a good deal with only 6-7 hours on it. I have this motor as well. It’s all stock and pushes my 18-54 prodigy about 28 mph. If I were buying new today I’d buy the 40 gtr and leave it stock. I’m not into modding.

Oh and 28mph is by myself without much of any load. More around 24-25 when I’m loaded with fishing gear etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Thanks for the information! I think that would push me plenty fast enough for what I need!

Comment

#outboard

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                  #outboard
                  Why an outboard?

Comment

I have a 1648 G3 with a 25hp long shaft. I had to build transom up to accept the long shaft motor. Course I'm a metal fab person too. And did structural warranty repair for several boat mfgs for a few years. I plan to one day replace the transom with all metal and transom.

That MM with that Hp might be a lot of torque on the transom IMHO. But beefing the transom up, it should handle it.

The fish are biting. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      I have a 1648 G3 with a 25hp long shaft. I had to build transom up to accept the long shaft motor. Course I'm a metal fab person too. And did structural warranty repair for several boat mfgs for a few years. I plan to one day replace the transom with all metal and transom.

That MM with that Hp might be a lot of torque on the transom IMHO. But beefing the transom up, it should handle it.

Thanks for the information. What year is your boat?

Comment

Hull is a 2004. Motor is a 2013 that I bought new 3 years ago. Other than factory paint, hull it's self was almost perfect condition when I got it 4 years ago from another TBHer. It had some slight mods done. But they were fair at best. I reworked them and did them properly. I've had a couple of TBHers in the boat fishing a few times too.

Comment

Hull is a 2004. Motor is a 2013 that I bought new 3 years ago. Other than factory paint, hull it's self was almost perfect condition when I got it 4 years ago from another TBHer. It had some slight mods done. But they were fair at best. I reworked them and did them properly. I've had a couple of TBHers in the boat fishing a few times too.

Very nice. I think the boat I am looking at has a full aluminum transom so it should last much longer with the motor. I really don't plan to hunt flooded timber as much as others might. I don't plan to run it up on rocks and stumps. I know stuff happens. Honestly I want this style motor to go through vegetation and shallow water more than I need to run through mud flats, etc.

Comment

Someone had tried to modify the transom for a MM. But did not do it structurally right. It's done correctly now.

Comment

Someone had tried to modify the transom for a MM. But did not do it structurally right. It's done correctly now.

Very nice!

Comment

As others have said, mud motors /surface drives just dont pair well with anything than a mud hull. I would be selling the motor and buying an outboard. If you take time to tune it with a jack plate, you can make that boat scream through 6" of water.

I guess it just really depends on the kind of hunting you do mostly, I hunt a lot of flooded timber, and lakes, occasionally ill hunt on the coast. I've never felt the need to have a mud motor except for one time where we weren't paying attention to the tide while hunting a backwater marsh.

Comment

Working...
                                X