No announcement yet.

Red Wolf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not claiming this to be a red wolf, but this was taken on a trail camera near Gainesville. I just thought it was a really good pic for a trail camera. It’s off Facebook and sine people are thinking it could have wolf traits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
      I’m not claiming this to be a red wolf, but this was taken on a trail camera near Gainesville. I just thought it was a really good pic for a trail camera. It’s off Facebook and sine people are thinking it could have wolf traits

Nice!!!!!!!!
      Thanks for posting!!

Comment

It's been awhile since I viewed this thread so I am not sure if I mentioned this before.....but I was thinkin......if the government and such can declare and or "make" a particular animal "extinct" why can't they do the same with pigs? I think they are full of crap. There could very easily be some red wolfs still around.

Comment

I don't pretend to understand the science of genetics. I'm an engineer in a chemical plant. For someone who does have an understanding, here is a highly technical article on red wolf genetics. Enjoy.

Rediscovering species once thought to be extinct or on the edge of extinction is rare. Red wolves have been extinct along the American Gulf Coast since 1980, with their last populations found in coastal Louisiana and Texas. We report the rediscovery of red wolf ghost alleles in a canid population on Galveston Island, Texas. We analyzed over 7000 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in 60 canid representatives from all legally recognized North American Canis species and two phenotypically ambiguous canids from Galveston Island. We found notably high Bayesian cluster assignments of the Galveston canids to captive red wolves with extensive sharing of red wolf private alleles. Today, the only known extant wild red wolves persist in a reintroduced population in North Carolina, which is dwindling amongst political and taxonomic controversy. Our rediscovery of red wolf ancestry after almost 40 years introduces both positive opportunities for additional conservation action and difficult policy challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
            I don't pretend to understand the science of genetics. I'm an engineer in a chemical plant. For someone who does have an understanding, here is a highly technical article on red wolf genetics. Enjoy.

https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4425/9/12/618/htm

Great read.. Thanks for sharing..

100% Wolf... Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy moss View Post
              Most scientists believe in Big Bang and evolution do y’all scientists believer believe that way also?
              God created all and Jesus is my savior!

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                I don't except it because IMO they are not extinct. I know and believe what I see and have seen since the extinct declaration was made, not what I am told..
                Coyotes or hybrids that should be, based on science, predominatly coyote, according to scientist, do not or could not possibly grow to be 70-80 pounds and have a distinct look..

Science is great but its far from absolute when it comes to wildlife and nature.. That's been proven time and time again..

Life is full of choices.. You can believe what you want to believe and I'll believe what I want to believe.. As you can see scientists cant even agree on this subject..
                It's DNA. Not like some research project that test if deer grow bigger due to --

Hey, wait! I remember you now! You were one of those jurors in the O.J. Simpson trial. 😜

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                  Fact or your opinion?

Certainly NOT fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                    Fact or your opinion?

Certainly NOT fact.
                    FACT!!! If there was ever anything absolute it is this...

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                      Ill be Dang.. We agree!!!

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                        Guys, I am not taking sides here but I started trapping in the 1960s and more seriously during the 1970s and 80s, and caught many coyotes from east Tx, central Tx, and from the hill country. I don’t think any two looked exactly alike. They ranged from small to very large, from pale to very dark with a myriad of color variations. I know I would not be confident in distinguishing some coyotes from red wolves or high degree hybrids. I bet very few experts would tell you they are able to easily discern the difference simply by visual comparison 100% of the time. I don’t know how any of you can be so confident on this issue one way or the other simply by casual observation. I will tell you from experience that the biologists that have expertise in this field or regarding any scientific issue do not make judgement (or policy) calls off the cuff or in a vacuum. They rely on science and data gained from numerous reputable and scrutinized studies. For example, regarding the red wolf project, the data consists of morphological data (size, skull measurements, color, etc.), recorded howl acoustic patterns, and of course DNA. Therefore, conclusions, declarations, policy, etc. (such as extinction declarations) are based on sound science and typically tons of data, and usually from a consensus of scientists in a given field. So I wouldn’t be too eager to dismiss the prevailing opinion or conclusion of the “experts”.

Can there be error in science? Sure! However, just because something may look more like one species than another doesn’t make it a high likelihood that it is. Just look at the species Homo sapiens, do we all look similar? I’ve seen some folks that look a whole lot more like H. neanderthals than H. sapiens. While it has been recently found that many of us non Africans carry residuals of Neanderthal genes, as coyotes carry residual wolf genes, we are still clearly H. sapiens. In a recent Smithsonian article, it described the findings of a recent study whereby it was determined that individuals having ancient Neanderthal genes possess elongated skulls, characteristic of the Neanderthals. So, while a large, strange colored coyote may resemble a red wolf, that doesn’t make it so alone. Point is, without DNA or some other strong morphological evidence, it may be impossible to know. The experts are clearly more expert than not in most of these cases.
                        Good comments. Missed it first time through.

Comment

Fact or your opinion?

Certainly NOT fact.
                          Start another thread on that subject if you like. I'll comment thoroughly.

In brief, I'm actually surprised that the bulk of the scientific community is atheist. It requires more faith to believe that everything is an accident than it does to believe in a creator.

Comment

Ugh.

There is more than one religion.

FACT.

I'm not an atheist or of the scientific "community".
                            Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 01-15-2019, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Ugh.

There is more than one religion.

FACT.

I'm not an atheist or of the scientific "community".
                              Seriously, dude. Post a new thread on the subject if you're so convicted of your facts, I'll be excited about commenting. This has nothing to do with red wolves...well...ok, faith, but other than that, no.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                                "The first large study of North American wolf genomes has found that there is only one species on the continent: the gray wolf. Two other purported species, the Eastern wolf and the red wolf, are mixes of gray wolf and coyote DNA, the scientists behind the study concluded."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/s...ay-wolves.html
                                This article made me a believer in the "red wolf" classification mistake. Remember even the other articles posted state that the full blooded, "red wolves" captured for breeding were determined to be full blooded back in the 70's. They were using physical traits to determine species, not DNA. Now that we're actually studying the DNA they're finding the results pretty definitive. Coyote and Gray Wolf. Seems pretty black and white.

It's either sad or funny the amount of time, energy and money put into saving a hybrid "species" but we need to be very leery of the idea that they are trying to find a way to give ESA protections to hybrids of any species.

In light of these new discoveries I believe they should open up a season on the, "red wolves," in the Carolinas.

Comment

Working...
                                X