No announcement yet.

Chevy battery draining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would get the batteries load tested as suggested before going back to the dealer. There is a chance are they just checked voltage and called it good.

You can also check for a parasitic draw. Take a multimeter and set it to DC amps. Connect the black wire to the "com" on your multimeter and the red wire to the 10A or 20A, whichever your multimeter has. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Put the positive meter lead on the battery post, put the negative lead on the battery terminal you just disconnected. Wait a few seconds to minutes for the vehicle's computer to go into sleep mode. After this, if you get any amp reading something is draining your battery. Caution: Once on amps DO NOT check across the battery leads. You will blow the fuse inside your meter if you do this

Comment

I just traded my 2016 Chevy High Country 2500hd due to electrical gremlin. Mine was related to the DEF tank heater but I think the battery and the electrical system was the root problem.

All batteries, cables, wires, and such checked out fine. No low voltage or amperage could be found anywhere. They changed the DEF tank twice. It got to a point where they were speculating that it might be the 110 plugs or something.

I kept getting a check engine light and speed limit warning. I finally got the codes cleared and traded it off. I'd had enough of Chevy trucks.

Comment

Throw a new battery in there, once they start acting goofy, they are gonners.

Comment

Originally posted by turkeyhunter1 View Post
          I just traded my 2016 Chevy High Country 2500hd due to electrical gremlin. Mine was related to the DEF tank heater but I think the battery and the electrical system was the root problem.

All batteries, cables, wires, and such checked out fine. No low voltage or amperage could be found anywhere. They changed the DEF tank twice. It got to a point where they were speculating that it might be the 110 plugs or something.

I kept getting a check engine light and speed limit warning. I finally got the codes cleared and traded it off. I'd had enough of Chevy trucks.
          I have had to replace the DEF heater once.

Comment

had the issue in my dodge. Problem was corrosion in battery cables. Alternator charges on PS battery. Voltage readers reads on DS battery. Alternator was overcharging the PS battery and the DS battery was not getting charged enough. Replaced with aftermarket customer cables and it is fixed.

Comment

Hah...88k miles and 3.5 years on my 2015 Duramax stock batteries and started noticing a little bit of drag when starting. Especially during colder weather. Noticed the voltage on the gauge was kind of low after first starting then came up after several minutes. Had dealership test batteries and electrical charging system. Told me both batteries had bad cells, charging system was fine. They quoted me $789 dollars to replace both batteries. Politely told them, "I'll shop around". Called Interstate battery and they replaced both batteries with 30 month free replacement, 30 month pro-rated replacement for $379 INSTALLED. I believe you have bad batteries. But, that's just a guess.

Comment

I took it by Oriley's and then to the dealer yesterday.

The guy at Oriley's hooked it up to the machine and kept saying that is weird. He retested it 3 times and kept saying the machine said my engine is running while attached to the first battery. It was not running. The second battery tested fine. He went back and tested the first battery again and it now said it was a bad battery. We started the engine and he said I had an alternator problem, then he said I don't have an alternator problem. He said something is going on and since it is still under warranty I should take it to the dealer. So at the dealer it sits.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post

The guy at Oriley's hooked it up to the machine and kept saying that is weird. He retested it 3 times and kept saying the machine said my engine is running while attached to the first battery. It was not running. The second battery tested fine. He went back and tested the first battery again and it now said it was a bad battery. We started the engine and he said I had an alternator problem, then he said I don't have an alternator problem. He said something is going on and since it is still under warranty I should take it to the dealer. So at the dealer it sits.
                  Go trade it in on a Ford, that's what I did on my last ever GM product......life's too short to have to deal with GM's electrical issues.

Hope you get it resolved

Comment

I’m guessing bad battery, 3 years is about all I typically get out of factory batteries on diesel trucks.

Comment

That's a lot of hassle for a bad battery...

Comment

Those guys at the parts store are not the smartest cats. Are you around Round Rock?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          Those guys at the parts store are not the smartest cats. Are you around Round Rock?
                          No. I am about 3 hours north of you.

It probably is one of the batteries. It is just odd that it started when they reprogrammed my computer. It is under warranty and I don't need the truck until the weekend so the dealer can play around with it for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                            Those guys at the parts store are not the smartest cats...
                            Agreed. My nephew worked at one before he even knew how to replace the brakes on his truck himself. But he was giving out advice daily and people believed him because he worked there.

Comment

First battery drawing off the second, 1st battery has dead cell, its pulling current from the second battery. New batteries and be rolling again.

Comment

You have a dead short somewhere. Unplug ANY aftermarket electronics especially if it has a constant 12 volts going to it. Unplug it or cut the voltage going to it.
                                Not bragging but I installed aftermarket automotive electronics for over 10 years. Even if aftermarket auto electronics are installed properly don't mean they aren't a problem. Especially with all the bells and whistles that vehicles have now. Just because it worked on a 20?? model do not mean it will work on the next years model.

Comment

Working...
                                X