No announcement yet.

Brakes for Ford Super Duty Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for you man! I was gonna say something about jack stands, but looks like yall got it covered. I always cringe at the sight of people trusting their lives to a hydraulic jack.

I think the biggest thing is changing out the fluid. Such an overlooked aspect of the brake system. I fought sticking brake calipers on a high mileage (250k+) F350 a few years ago. I finally found out that my problem was old fluid. I vacuumed it all out, and replaced with fresh fluid. Fixed my problem, but by the time I had figured it out I had changed every brake system component except the hard lines!!

Comment

Agreed. I changed the transmission, transfer case and both riffs at 50k but I forgot the brake fluid. Wish I would have done it sooner because I know it made a big difference. I did the brake kit one weekend and then the ss lines and fluid the next. The kit definitely helped the stopping distance but the fluid and the ss lines helped the pedal feel/spongyness/responsiveness exponentially.

Comment

Originally posted by knapper View Post
        What are the best pads for F250’s
        Hate the squeaking and brake dust on the factory ones on my 2016
        I need to clean all the mud and grime off my wheels to see how these are doing on dust. To be perfectly honest I never had an issue with the stock pads as far as dust goes so that might be a good option for you. The pads that came with the kit are carbon ceramic. Of course they market them as low dust. I will report back on dust after I get the wheels clean and have a load on the truck.
        Last edited by Fordnandez; 12-12-2018, 08:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Link to the kit I ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
            I do spend quite a bit of time on construction sites and on dirt roads going to my lease that gets pretty sloppy when it rains. To be perfectly honest I didnt think about the drilled sections getting filled with mud. I guess I will see how it goes and report back after some time in the mud.

I have belts and suspenders for supporting the truck. I have a set of jack stands that I can not recall the weight rating on them so I got one jack stand not in the picture and the jack under the truck with a little bit of pressure on it also. Technically the jack can shift so I made sure the majority of the weight was on the stands. I am 99% confident that they are at least 2 ton stands which should be sufficient for the truck. I am with you on the horror stories. Many folks have lost their life that way. Even with both of these in place I made dang sure that I was never directly under the rotor in the event that the truck fell off.
            Good deal. It's worth pointing that out to any first time millennial that may try to fix their brakes on their own, jacks like to fail when you are under a truck.

I am curious to hear how the whole kit works out. After I did my front rotors, I feel like I am missing some braking power. Looking forward to following this, and may upgrade, or at the very least, swap brake fluid in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              Good deal. It's worth pointing that out to any first time millennial that may try to fix their brakes on their own, jacks like to fail when you are under a truck.

I am curious to hear how the whole kit works out. After I did my front rotors, I feel like I am missing some braking power. Looking forward to following this, and may upgrade, or at the very least, swap brake fluid in mine.
              Which rotors did you get?

Comment

The only reason I ask which rotors you got because if you got the Power Stop ones I suggest you get the pads ASAP. The rotors have a "cross hatching" in it on the face of the rotors when they are new. It is my understanding that this is there to break in the pads by "activating" the top coating on the pads which somehow "bed's" the pad and rotor. Something about depositing friction material on the rotors. I would be worried that if you run your rotors too long that cross hatching will be wore off the face of the rotors.

Comment

Anyone run EBC orange pads ?

Comment

Originally posted by knapper View Post
                    Anyone run EBC orange pads ?
                    I have not but I have heard good things about them as a company.

Comment

Working...
                    X