No announcement yet.

Air rifle for squirrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought my gamo on sale for $100 on a Black Friday sale several years ago. Killed 12 squirrels in two hour under one tree. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Johnny, the springers are VERY temperamental to shoot accurately. They don't like to be "held". They like to be carressed. They all have a funky reverse recoil because of the internal dynamics of that big spring (or gas piston) and piston that makes it next to impossible to hold them still on the fore end. They need to be able to "float" up front. The other thing is not all scopes will stand up to the vibration/recoil of a spring piston air gun. You MUST use a scope on them that is break-barrel spring air gun rated. All Hawke scopes are rated for spring air guns.
      Got a BSA red dot on the Baikal target pistol

and

A Beeman Blue Ribbon on The RWS

Comment

you can buy a $100 and it'll get the job done easy... I have this one and its killed tons of squirrels and a few possums!

Comment

With pellet guns the slower fps will usually give you better groupings. Gamo advertises all of their fast rifles but the more accurate ones will typically be around 800 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by jackal View Post
            with pellet guns the slower fps will usually give you better groupings. Gamo advertises all of their fast rifles but the more accurate ones will typically be around 800 fps.
            gtk

Comment

I picked up a box of 20 grain 590 FPS Aguila, 40 grain 710 FPS CCI, and a box of 45 grain 970 FPS CCI. Tried the 590 and 710 at 35 yards on a can and they hit good. 710 was louder, so I’ll try the Aguila first and see how they perform. Thanks for the suggestion HDWRENCH

-I think they were both about as quiet as the Gamo.
              Last edited by QDM4fun; 12-05-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Ours is a simple Benjamin 392 22cal. 4-5 pumps w/a hit and the varmint is done.

Durable too. Ours is stored with 1 pump and is on it's 9th year.

Comment

Originally posted by QDM4fun View Post
                  I picked up a box of 20 grain 590 FPS Aguila, 40 grain 710 FPS CCI, and a box of 45 grain 970 FPS CCI. Tried the 590 and 710 at 35 yards on a can and they hit good. 710 was louder, so I’ll try the Aguila first and see how they perform. Thanks for the suggestion HDWRENCH

-I think they were both about as quiet as the Gamo.
                  Sure thing

My neighbors wife is the nicest person in the world but she feeds the silly tree rats . My poodle that I got in the divorce HA HA was not on the want list but I take care of the old girl.

Will wear her paws raw jumping on the tree of the fence .. She will sit for hours staring up .. and it makes her a bit sick , she is 10+ plus old

SOOO I bought a box of the 450 fps stuff , Sit in my back yard and wait for them to get into the tree and use my DU bolt action Marlin rifle to drop them .

Need to get a new base for it Iron/ plastic sights are moving on the dove tail and my eye are not what they used to be .

So will add a simple red dot I have laying around Aim Point Pro will work just fine .

I have shot them at 45 yards and head shot is a done deal body hit or miss no pun on that .

The round is not moving very fast , but out of a rifle sure is silent .. Out of my no name revolver a bit more bang on the trigger pull .

Comment

Need one of these

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                      Ours is a simple Benjamin 392 22cal. 4-5 pumps w/a hit and the varmint is done.

Durable too. Ours is stored with 1 pump and is on it's 9th year.
                      As simple as it gets and all you need for squirrels!

Comment

Slick--I probably know the guy you are talking about who rebuilds air guns as my Sheridan has been to him a couple of years ago. New seals, cleaning and lube.

Comment

My wife has a hatred for squirrels being that they leave pieces of hickory nuts in our outdoor living area. She has a RWS and has killed countless of tree rats with it, I mean she is wicked with that rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                            22 rifle with the Aguila 22 LR Colibri Subsonic Ammo 400 FPS will kill the tree rats very dead , they have another round sub sonic as well that is like 1000 fps . I have shot both out of a Marling bolt gun not as loud as a pellet gun .
                            Paintin' with too broad of a brush there...

A break barrel pellet gun can be loud, but the one I posted above makes 2 sounds. When the 9 ounce trigger is pulled, you hear the hammer strike the air release valve, then you hear the pellet impact. That's it. No report from the end of the barrel... nothing. This also can be accomplished with a break barrel gun with the proper LDC, though the mechanics of the spring and piston being released generates some noise, but not loud, just more of a clunk... I will say however that a pellet smackin' a coon or a pig up side the head makes quite a racket! And a pellet smackin' a turtle in the head in the water makes a LOT of noise!! Sounds like a 22 hittin' the water!

Comment

Doesn't matter if you kill every squirrel in your area they will be back. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                                Doesn't matter if you kill every squirrel in your area they will be back. Good Luck
                                This is true, just like feral hogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X