Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tosu had got smoked by a bad team. Georgia had their chance and lost to a backup. OU should have been there and the right guy won the Heisman. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      They also mentioned, on national radio, that more teams just means more lopsided blowouts that would still end up Alabama and Clemson. I agree.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Mighty small sample size these experts are going off of. Maybe this year, but that will not always be the case. These superior teams usually lose a game each year. Why wouldn't this happen between the top 8 teams? Teams match up differently.

Comment

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
        ou has been close plenty of times.
        2003 bcs LSU
        2004 bcs USC
        2008 bcs UF
        2015 cfp clemson
        2017 cfp UGA
        2018 cfp BAMA

0 for 6 for those keeping track.
        You left out the Boise State debacle....I loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
          Mighty small sample size these experts are going off of. Maybe this year, but that will not always be the case. These superior teams usually lose a game each year. Why wouldn't this happen between the top 8 teams? Teams match up differently.
          I have always been against the playoff structure. I am certainly against expanding it. I will say that expanding benefits my team (Texas), but personally I am against if trying to crown a true champion. Every year the scenarios change so there is no perfect system. This year the BCS would have been perfect. In the end, the job should be to get the two best teams to play against each other and for the most part, the BCS got it right. Now I disagree with the BCS when it came to filling out the other bowl games but that is another topic.

The more teams you add to the playoff, the more you are going to devalue the regular season (See the NFL). I love it each week is a playoff and if you lose one game, your chances of a National Title take a huge hit. When you get into more teams, you start to look at upsets (weather, injuries, luck, matchups) etc. so you may not get the best teams in the Championship. You could get a team that sneaks in and gets hot (happens all the time in College Baseball and Basketball). It seems like its about 50/50 you get the the two best teams in those sports playing in the National Championship game.

Point being that every season is unique to there will never been one system that works year in and year out. For the most part, the BCS got the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
            We fly out in the morning and I am really pumped for the Sugar Bowl. Texas is playing with house money at this point for me. They are in a NY6 Bowl which just happens to be a the Sugar Bowl against a traditional power in Georgia. They played in the Big 12 Championship Game and beat OU once this year. The hay is in the barn for me this year.

I think most people would agree, Georgia is one of the Top 4 teams in the country. Texas is a 12.5 point underdog. I am looking forward to how Texas reacts to playing a bigger, more psychical team in Georgia. This should be a good measuring stick type game to show Texas how far they are away from playing on a national level. Texas has played to the level of their competition all year, so hopefully that continues and they make it a game. Who knows, maybe Texas wins by 12.5. That is a little James Brown for yall.

In the end, I will be with all my Texas buddies watching my team play in the Sugar Bowl.
            Well, they need a little help with recruitment.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              Well, they need a little help with recruitment.
              I don't follow

Comment

I have always been against the playoff structure. I am certainly against expanding it. I will say that expanding benefits my team (Texas), but personally I am against if trying to crown a true champion. Every year the scenarios change so there is no perfect system. This year the BCS would have been perfect. In the end, the job should be to get the two best teams to play against each other and for the most part, the BCS got it right. Now I disagree with the BCS when it came to filling out the other bowl games but that is another topic.

The more teams you add to the playoff, the more you are going to devalue the regular season (See the NFL). I love it each week is a playoff and if you lose one game, your chances of a National Title take a huge hit. When you get into more teams, you start to look at upsets (weather, injuries, luck, matchups) etc. so you may not get the best teams in the Championship. You could get a team that sneaks in and gets hot (happens all the time in College Baseball and Basketball). It seems like its about 50/50 you get the the two best teams in those sports playing in the National Championship game.

Point being that every season is unique to there will never been one system that works year in and year out. For the most part, the BCS got the job done.
                exactly. fans just look at it from the selfish aspect of getting more games, and everyone has an idea on how to "fix" it. there are 130 teams!! you aint gonna fix it!!

#1 vs #2 is close enough, as was the old system, where two major polls vote a champion.

Comment

I don't follow
                  Putting them in the NYD 6 gives them a little help with recruitment.

Comment

That's a good point. However, even in the Playoff era, both Alabama and Ohio State have gotten in without even playing in their conference championship game. Obviously, both lost a regular season game to not make their respective conference championships. So, I guess the regular season has subjective value depending on the situation and then it's all about an "eye" test that has been anything, but consistently applied.

Are the 2 best teams playing in the NCG this year? Of course and I think any non-biased person would agree. It's not always going to be that cut and dry though.

I don't think expanding the playoffs to 8 teams would devalue the regular season. Take the 5 P5 champs, highest G5 champion and 2 at-large bids. Even if there is a 2 plus loss P5 champ that gets in, there is still room to include a 1 loss non-conference champ that deserves to be in. Let's also not forget that one loss in a conference division could keep you out of the playoffs.

Comment

2018/19 College Football Pre-Bowl Season

Guess I’ll check in next week. This thread seems to be having an issue loading to my phone.

It appears the Ags will have plenty of room for Shepherd as Banks isn’t headed to Cstat.
                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Last edited by Chad C; 12-31-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                        There have been 10 CFB semi-final games played since the Playoff System was created in 2014. Scores between #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3 are as follows:

59-20
                        42-35
                        37-17
                        38-0
                        31-0
                        24-7
                        54-48
                        24-6
                        45-34
                        30-3

2 playoff games were decided by a TD or less, 5 teams only scored 7 pts. or less, and 8 of the 10 games were double digit blow-outs. Average margin of victory is 21.4 pts. If you expand the playoffs to 8 teams, it's more probable than not that Alabama will win 8-9 NC's in a 10 year span. Ponder this, a #1 seed ALA would be a 4-5 TD favorite over a #8 team like UCF.

Comment

I have always said, if you lose a game you lose the right to *****. Now that doesn't mean you don't have a good argument but your fate is in the hands of the other teams and the committee. The playoff already devalues the regular season with your point being Bama and Ohio State got in with a lose and without winning their conference.

I would be a fan of automatically qualifying a conference champion though. That is about the only thing I can get on board with. There is to much subjectivity when it comes to conferences (9 games vs 8 games, OOC scheduling, style of play, in conference scheduling). This way the playoff does not penalize a team based on their conference setup. You win, you get in.
                          Last edited by Heath; 12-31-2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                            Guess I’ll check in next week. This thread seems to be having an issue loading to my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            It is not loading on my phone or IPAD through Tapatalk, so unless I am on my computer it will not post. So new New Orleans / Sugar Bowl food **** and party pics.

Comment

Have fun Heath. Hook'em.

Comment

Mizzou/Okie State kicks off this afternoon. This is an excellent chance for the Big 12 to take a game from the SEC. Be careful in New Orleans, Heath...that can be a pretty rough neighborhood.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X