No announcement yet.

Electrician Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very well could be the switch itself. AFCI breakers can trip off because of degraded contacts inside the switches.

have a look at this page, there is a nice table about halfway down the page that might help shed a little light on it.
    There are five reasons an AFCI breaker may be tripping off, only one being arcing. AFCI circuit breaker troubleshooting advice from this master electrician may help you when yours trips.

If I was closer, I would look at it for you.

Comment

The bathroom should have a GFCI outlet for code. Those go bad over time. I would try replacing that next if all the connections are good. But I do agree the quote you received was the electrician way overcharging. He can't be the only electrician in your area, call another one and ask their cost to diagnose.

Comment

The guest bath, hall, and bedroom are all on the same circuit. Receptacles all have no load on them.

I can turn on the hall lights and it is fine. Turn the hall lights off, and then turn on the lights in the bathroom on, and then the breaker trips when I turn the hall light back on with the bathroom light.

Can turn on the bathroom light on fine, then turn on the bedroom light and the breaker trips.

If I turn on just the light to the bedroom it automatically trips. I am starting there.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
          The guest bath, hall, and bedroom are all on the same circuit. Receptacles all have no load on them.

I can turn on the hall lights and it is fine. Turn the hall lights off, and then turn on the lights in the bathroom on, and then the breaker trips when I turn the hall light back on with the bathroom light.

Can turn on the bathroom light on fine, then turn on the bedroom light and the breaker trips.

If I turn on just the light to the bedroom it automatically trips. I am starting there.

Check for a short in the bathroom light. If I’m reading right that seems to be the common denominator here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            Check for a short in the bathroom light. If I’m reading right that seems to be the common denominator here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            I'm going to check all the fixtures and switches before I call anyone else out.

Comment

Check your GFCI first before your replace the breaker.

Comment

Working...
              X