Broken antlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken antlers

Several of our regular bucks have come up with broken antlers in the last couple weeks. Obviously due to fighting during the rut but I’m starting to think there is a mineral dificiancy of some sort. These are not just broken poins, these are main beam breaks. Is there something that we can supplement this for next year? Or will protein year round correct this issue.

Been on my lease for 30 years and this year it seems 3/4 of the bucks are broken up. This is 100% out of ordinary for my place. The other hunter and I were discussing a mineral source as well.

Comment

Double Down will fix it and add 60" next year.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dustinb09 View Post
        Double Down will fix it and add 60" next year.....
        If you start now they will probably grow back the broken tines before season closes this year!

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
          If you start now they will probably grow back the broken tines before season closes this year!
          LOL! That's probably what their ad says!

Comment

Don't forget about any mounts from years past, they'll get bigger too!

Comment

That's some funny stuff right there!!! lmao

Funny thing is there are people out there that might say that with straight face. I mean DD has created lots of miracles! lol

Comment

I posted the exact same question last week

didn't have much luck finding an answer
                hopefully the more eyes on this the better

Comment

Unless you are noticing this year over year, its most likely not a mineral deficiency IMO. There is a better chance that it has to do with how many does are cycling and possibly even your buck to doe ratio. There is more competition for breeding which tends to make bucks more aggressive in order to secure the right to breed.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                    Unless you are noticing this year over year, its most likely not a mineral deficiency IMO. There is a better chance that it has to do with how many does are cycling and possibly even your buck to doe ratio. There is more competition for breeding which tends to make bucks more aggressive in order to secure the right to breed.
                    x2

Comment

I haven't been out much this year, but I remember a year like that several years ago. Saw 10 or 15 various bucks in a weekend that all had busted tines. I'm headed to that ranch after Xmas, may be interesting.

Comment

Now that someone else says something, we have had the same problem. Our #2 just came back on camera with half a rack missing.
                        Multiple up and comers missing points/beams and some spikes coming in with a single side. Hoping it is the doe problem mentioned above and not minerals lacking.

Comment

I have only sat out 3 times so far this year but I have noticed the same thing. Every mature buck I have seen so far has 1 side or the other broke off or damaged. Never had this issue before here.

Comment

I never thought about it being a doe ratio issue. I guess that makes sense. We do seem to have more bucks than does this year.

Comment

I shot a nice buck in Val Verde County one year, and boiled the skull for a euro mount like I had done a hundred times before...but for some reason this one’s antlers just crumbles in my hands. Happened that year to several others on the lease that year too. I’m sure it was a mineral deficiency.

Comment

Working...
                              X