Good things never last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good things never last

I’ve been blessed to be able to hunt on my neighbors fathers land for the past five years. They have an oil company and only care about what comes out of the ground. Even though I have not had to pay for a lease me and a good friend have put a lot of time and money into this property. Between fuel( 5.5 hour drive from Houston) feeding over ten feeders year round, cutting lanes, and everything else to improve a piece of property for hunting. We have only taken a couple bucks off the property in the past five years and our management is starting to show. We have passed on several decent deer trying to let them meet their full potential and lost them to the neighbors. That’s just part of the game. My neighbors dad has now decided to let two other families hunt the property. Notified us right after opening weekend. Not happy about that but what do you do. I showed them the property and explained our management plan. Well first week up they shoot a 6 and 8 point that are 2.5 years old. We are talking small young deer. When asked they say the owner said they can shoot what they want and told them go knock down some bucks. Bringing their kids next go around. Nothing like watching hard work go to waste. Looks like I will be looking to find a lease for next year. Now just trying to decide how picky I’ll be about what I shoot the rest of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot cause your hardwork went out the door!!! But don't complain too much bud cause you didn't have to pay like you said you were blessed

Comment

I've been their and it sucks but out of your control!!

Comment

Maybe offer some money to lock down the hunting rights for yourself? Go to him as a gentleman and explain your position. Maybe y’all can come to an agreement and you won’t have to move. (Weigh the cost of starting over)
        If they only care about their return, and they have been letting you hunt for free, they may let you sign a lease contract for a bargain.

Comment

Hammer everything that moves!

Comment

Handshake deals always come to an end poorly, burned pretty bad once.

Comment

^^^^^ and this goes a long way $$$$$

Comment

Fill the freezer

Comment

Tried money route. Did not work. Let’s just say money is not an issue for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                    Hammer everything that moves!
                    That's a great way to pay the man back for letting you hunt for free!

Comment

Sorry brother!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CarlP View Post
                        Tried money route. Did not work. Let’s just say money is not an issue for them.

I wouldn't loose hope...
                        If they are shooting "brown & down", this might not be a serious/long term situation with these (2) families...
                        Could be just people wanting to get their kids out killing & then loosing interest in a couple years...

I'd stay in contact & help out when/where ever you can...
                        You never know...

But the "hammer everything that moves" advise is just plain retarded & *****ty IMO considering you hunted so long for free....

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                          That's a great way to pay the man back for letting you hunt for free!
                          The Man has put a ton of money into the place so you bet he needs to pay him back for years of blood, sweat, and treasure he put into a place that wasn’t his

Comment

I would try to talk with the other families again and emphasize the management program you are trying to maintain.

Comment

Shut the feeders down, pull the batteries, bring in the cameras. If they want to play, let them bring their on toys.

Comment

Working...
                              X