How to make Axis Hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
    Someone gave me 2, one and a half pound packs of axis burger that I am afraid will be too dry without mixing it... Haven't cooked it because I don't want to ruin it.

Just dont over cook the crap out of it and itll be fine. Shoot for medium well at best and youre golden. I never mix anything in my deer burger and theres always plenty grease in the pan when I cook it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just did a 90% Axis 10% beef tallow on mine and it turned out great.

Comment

If you didn't care for a 50/50 axis/brisket combo then I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe you kept too much fat from the brisket in the grind? That's exactly how we mix and grind and we cant keep enough of it in the freezer...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
          I have the processor I use in Kerrville, grind my axis with 20% brisket mixed in and its really good.
          Yes, Rhodes in Kerrville does this for me also and it is delicious.

Comment

Get beef fat from HEB, ask the butcher he will hold it for you. Add it at about 8-12 percent with the rest being lean axis. Will be delightful.

Comment

WOW!!! I had no clue to how this is being done. Thanks peeps!!

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                If you didn't care for a 50/50 axis/brisket combo then I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe you kept too much fat from the brisket in the grind? That's exactly how we mix and grind and we cant keep enough of it in the freezer...
                This is how I did it with White tail and I wasn't a fan.

Comment

Age your axis in the fridge deboned 10-14 days before grinding. After ageing buy an untrimmed brisket at a ratio of 30-40% per deer#. Grind on the 3/8 blade first mix both deer and brisket, them grind on the fine blade.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Add 10- 20% beef tallow. I used to add bacon but after trying the tallow I will never use bacon again.

Comment

I weigh mine out at 8 lbs. axis, 2 lb. black pepper bacon ends and 1 lb. of cheese. I season with Montreal Hamburger seasoning and freeze them in 2 lb bags.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                        Add 10- 20% beef tallow. I used to add bacon but after trying the tallow I will never use bacon again.
                        Thinking this is the route I'm going to try first. Sure is hard passing up the bacon idea though!!

Comment

20 % pork butt . I think I paid 78 cents per lbs for it here last week .

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            10 percent beef tallow added to mine.
                            This is was I do as well. I tried 20% once and it was to greasy for my liking.

Comment

A lot of it starts as soon as it hits the ground. Get the hide off and cooled down ASAP ( please do not place on ice) weather that's a walk in cooler, frig, or freezer. The smaller you brake it down ( at least quarter it) the faster it will cool. Keep it clean ,cold and dry. If the animal does not die quickly and adrenalin pumps through him for long period of time before he expires it will effect the taste also. After that the mixture of fat ( or bacon) ratio to lean meat is a personal thing. I like 80/ 20( I normally use pork butt or any pork with a good amount of fat) Makes good burger, sausage ( of all kinds) and ground jerky. Mixed with bacon makes good cherizo.
                              Last edited by critter69; 11-12-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

100% axis. Use egg and Italian bread crumbs if you need binder...

Comment

Working...
                                X