Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

160 acres high fenced opinions

Originally posted by trophyhunter View Post
    And you are worried about what people in Colorado think of Texas....who own less than 30% of the land in their state?? Where the Federal Government controls 68% of Colorado's forestland?

Hmmm.

100 acres I own is "big woods".....compared to 100 acres owned by the Federal Government, which I can't control. We have very different perspectives.
    It’s interesting how you frame this as such a bad thing. I’d take access to millions of acres of public land (that supports elk, mule deer, whitetails, antelope, etc.) any day over the best 100 acres in Texas.

Also, it’s funny how so many here are against participation trophies and things that aren’t earned, but have no problem defending “hunting” a 160 acre high fenced property for trophy bucks.
    Last edited by garby; 11-05-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by garby View Post
      It’s interesting how you frame this as such a bad thing. I’d take access to millions of acres of public land (that supports elk, mule deer, whitetails, antelope, etc.) any day over the best 100 acres in Texas.

Also, it’s funny how so many here are against participation trophies and things that aren’t earned, but have no problem defending “hunting” a 160 acre high fenced property for trophy bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
        Haha shooting a deer at a feeder or down a sendero is all the same no matter what kind of fence the deer are in. Either you have never had the chance to hunt a high fence ranch or the ones you have been on have seemed like I petting zoo. I can promise you though there are a lot out there that are far from a petting zoo.
        To the OP I personally wouldn’t high fence a tract that small just because of the work, feed cost etc that would go into but to each there own. I especially wouldn’t have put 20 axis on a place that size they will clear it of all vegetation they can reach in no time. Unless it’s gonna be an axis ranch or heavily supplemented I don’t see how the whitetail can compete.

Yep. I’ve never understand those that argue that position.

Comment

That's a hobby farm... possibly a niche business of some kind. That stocking rate will not be sustainable over several years without impacting the diversity, age and quality of vegetation. Not to mention the investment that will be required for supplements to maintain the habitat within the fence even if the herd is routinely culled to a current stocking rate or lower. From a business perspective... as stated maybe there's a niche business that he's found. From a recreational hunting perspective, he's losing money and may have done better to work with his neighbors. From an ecological perspective, losing. Still, emotionally a person may find satisfaction in simply working the population and landscape within the fence... but that can also be done without a fence. So it gets back to an individual's goals and land ethic. The emotional aspect that many cannot put their finger on related to these conversations is the land ethic and how we are a part of a larger community responsible for stewarding resources. There's two sides to that fence.
          Last edited by Bobcat; 11-05-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
            Whats makes your 160 acres high fenced yard any different than my 1600 sq ft yard?
            I did the math for you.....it's right at 7,000,000 square feet different.

Comment

Working...
            X