Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone hunt in the Field Store/Waller area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    True.

Have a friend who was hunting a place near snook. He or his brother killed every 13" buck they saw. He'd always get buthurt when he'd see cell phone pics of deer I passed and say "ill never see a deer like that' Very true when youre whacking those 2.5 year old 8s.

My parents live off 1736 and dad always sees a nice deer or two under his feeder during bow season. Once rifle season kicks off those bucks are never seen again

That is true. They will never see a deer like that shooting bucks like that. My parents live between 1736 and 2979.

Comment

Originally posted by Calfroper81 View Post
      That is true. They will never see a deer like that shooting bucks like that. My parents live between 1736 and 2979.
      theyre practically neighbors

Comment

theyre practically neighbors
        Yes sir it sure sounds like it. There was another big one shot off 2979 last year the scored in the high 160's if I remember correctly

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

Have a friend who was hunting a place near snook. He or his brother killed every 13" buck they saw. He'd always get buthurt when he'd see cell phone pics of deer I passed and say "ill never see a deer like that' Very true when youre whacking those 2.5 year old 8s.
            God I wish people would just read this and think about it for a minute. It seems like its common sense to me, but I see it over and over again...

Comment

Nice one! I've just been watching the ones at the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Calfroper81 View Post
                Great buck. Congrats. Where do you hunt at? I live in Hempstead and haven't hunted all season at my house since I killed a good one opening weekend near Mexia. This weekend was the first time I have hunted any out there. We have 170 acres. Seen 2 good 8 points this weekend but they were only 3.5 yr old deer. Both had good tine length and were both around 16-17" wide. They should be better next year. One was chasing a doe around and the other was hanging out with 3 does and 2 spikes. Quit hunting as much because of everyone shooting every young buck they see. Cant kill a buck like Mr. Whiskers did if you shoot every barely legal buck that you see. A buddies of mines son shot a 161 in waller county last year about 2-3 miles from my parents house. There are some good deer around here but you have to hunt for them.
                I'm the same way but I am only on 17 acres so its even worse for me with the neighbors. A 161 is a mighty fine Waller County buck!

Comment

True.

My parents live off 1736 and dad always sees a nice deer or two under his feeder during bow season. Once rifle season kicks off those bucks are never seen again
                  It's a shame. I'm passing on deer every year hoping to see them grow. Usually I don't see them again. I'm always conflicted whether I should let them grow or shoot them like everyone else does but if I shot every legal buck I saw then I would be part of the problem. I want to be part of the solution!!

Comment

Originally posted by Txaggie16 View Post
                    It's a shame. I'm passing on deer every year hoping to see them grow. Usually I don't see them again. I'm always conflicted whether I should let them grow or shoot them like everyone else does but if I shot every legal buck I saw then I would be part of the problem. I want to be part of the solution!!
                    I believe the area has potential for nice deer but shooting the youngsters is the big problem. Due to the bad weather, no bucks were shot so the 3 nice young bucks made it so far. It’s a shame the 2 really nice young bucks shot last year didn’t get the same chance.

Comment

Originally posted by bowmansdad View Post
                      I believe the area has potential for nice deer but shooting the youngsters is the big problem. Due to the bad weather, no bucks were shot so the 3 nice young bucks made it so far. It’s a shame the 2 really nice young bucks shot last year didn’t get the same chance.
                      Agreed. Got to start somewhere, that's where most people go wrong. They think "everyone else will shoot this deer if I don't" and we can't always think that.

I wish I could contact every landowner around me about managing our deer population but not everyone has the same goals.

Comment

I know the landowner really well and had more than one conversation with he and the landowner on the south side of the property about this issue last year. It didn’t work since the landowner and his buddy shot both of the nice bucks. I’ll keep working on them but they both set up feeders and tripods Friday before the season opening and started riding around about 9:15 opening day.

Comment

Originally posted by bowmansdad View Post
                          I know the landowner really well and had more than one conversation with he and the landowner on the south side of the property about this issue last year. It didn’t work since the landowner and his buddy shot both of the nice bucks. I’ll keep working on them but they both set up feeders and tripods Friday before the season opening and started riding around about 9:15 opening day.
                          Wouldn't expect anything different from someone who shoots young deer!!

Comment

Working...
                          X