Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old were your kids when you first took them hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know folks are going to say that no way kids were ready and they stated too young. My oldest killed his first doe on his 4th birthday. About a 60 yard heart shot. Had at least 300 rounds down the tube of his 223. Was shooting groups about tennis ball at 100 yards. younger brother was 5 almost 6. Both have been around since birth.

Comment

here is a pic of them
      Attached Files

Comment

Avery is 5 and this will be her first time to sit with me. I don't plan on killing anything unless she asks me too. I want her to have fun.

Comment

first time was 3 years old and we sat in the blind for a little over an hour waiting for some hogs. He was 4 years old when we sat for a couple of hours hunting deer.

Goal was to make things as comfortable for him as possible. Snacks, drinks, ipad, etc...

Comment

dont underestimate your kids

both of mine were 4.5 years with single shot .223 started with bb gun sawed off stocks at 3 ready by 4 good groups know their gun safety and with close supervision took off from there. adults are the problem. It is not the kid though there are exceptions. discipline and responsibility is what has worked in our family, i was started early as well. they were hunting with bow for rabbits in the dark in the brush on their own before daylight. youngest killed javi at 6 with his bow out of pop up on his own, pigs at 7 then deer at 8 oldest killed his first deer at 9 and what we learned on him we applied to the youngest hence his early success. the more you tell them they cant the less they are capable of....then here come the snowflakes and helicopters

Comment

15 months.

Comment

My daughter was 4 when she started going to the bow blind with me....She’s 15 now.

She killed her first buck/deer with a gun at 44 yards when she was 8 with no help.

Comment

4 for my son. Snacks and iPad help. He was good for about 1.5 hrs. Shot 3 deer with him and he loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

I was born in March, November had me in a deer blind.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

My son was 3 almost 4 when he started going with me pretty much all the time. He's 12 now and would hunt or fish every single day if possible.

My daughter was 9. She didn't wanna shoot anything at first but rather just go out with me. So I didn't push her into it. I just enjoyed being outdoors with her. After a couple years of that she decided she wanted to start doing the shooting. She's been hooked on hunting ever since.

Comment

My daughter was two,2009

we had a great time she's 11 now and will be with us this opening weekend
                            Attached Files

Comment

Daughter around 9 and son 7 . Their age difference is two years so at the same time. My wife was resistant to me taking them before that, but finally relented.

Comment

Awesome thread. I don’t have kids yet, but I do have a four year old niece who shows a lot of interest. Her dad (my brother) is a big bird hunter but could care less about deer hunting. It’s working out though because as much interest as she’s showing, I think I’m going to be able to talk him into getting on the lease with me. She LOVES going to the lease and gets mad if she finds out you went without her (mainly because she knows we’ll stop at Buccees on the way and Uncle Cam will let her get whatever). We shot several deer and pigs while she was with me on a couple trips last year and it didn’t bother her a bit, in fact I looked away for a minute and when I turned back around she was knuckle deep in an exit wound on a hog. She doesn’t seem to be bothered much by guns either, she’s been around them her whole life. My plan is to get her shooting this year and start taking her to the stand with me if she wants to go, and by next year I hope to be hunting with her being the shooter!

Been lucky enough to be in the blind with several kiddos over the years as they took their first animal and it was awesome, can’t imagine what it will be like if I’m with her when she gets hers!!

Comment

Working...
                                X