Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer Processing in Camp Changes to TPWD Law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
    This is the problem that I have with Texas Game Laws. Too much interpretation left to the INDIVIDUAL warden.

We have a walk in cooler at our camp, so I guess that means I can bone out a deer and leave the bones at the lease, instead of stinking up my trash can on trash day.
    Yes, it is absolutely absurd. Just another reason to write you a ticket. What if you're hauling it back to Ar?? Gotta stop at the border, take the bones out, and hope a GW doesn't catch you at that specific time lol.
    Hunting laws are getting ridiculous, to the point, it's almost not even worth it. Wardens don't even know the law, but they sure know how to create a citation out of thin air.

Comment

license

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
      This is one of those issues that if you ask six GW you get six different answers. On one lease we had a processors license for the lease so we could process past the quarters in camp. The processors license requires that you log each deer you process which we did. We had a GW come into camp and saw someone processing a deer tell us it was not legal even though we showed him the processors license and the log. As best I could tell we had followed the law explicitly.
      I would love to see what said "processors license" looks like.....

Comment

So if I own the land, have a house on on it with freezer but it’s not my permanent residence I can’t process the deer? I wouldn’t have thought twice about deboning,grinding up and freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Think they want to see quarters instead of boned out meat to make it easier to tell how many deer you have in your cooler?
          Last edited by Hunteraudit; 10-30-2018, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I own the land that I hunt on. I have a cabin and like to keep deer meat in the freezer. So I’m supposed to take the deer home and then process it at my permanent residence? Once processed, I can then take it my property and put it in the freezer of what I consider my second home?

So how the heck am I to prove that I actually it took it home?

Comment

Originally posted by Pigkilln View Post
              If you eat it then that would be final destination right?
              Technically no, final destination would be the crapper or like the deer camp I grew up in a wooden box with a toilet lid screwed on it and a shovel with TP on the handle.

But I was taught not to poop where I eat, so I’m really confused

Comment

I wish the definition of “camp” was clarified. I hunt with my siblings at the family ranch we grew up on. Mom still lives there, but none of us do. Is that a “camp” for us, since we don’t live there? Or is it “a permanent residence” because it’s Mom’s home? We’ve always done our own butchering, and then let the freezers out there get everything frozen solid before we take it back to our own respective homes and freezers. Would I be able to loophole these transport restrictions by claiming I left a few packages of meat out there for Mom? (I do anyway, but I’ll be derned if I’m supposed know how I would prove that the theoretical GW that stopped me on the trip home.)

Comment

The has been the same for a very long time.. Nothing has changed.

And I see A LOT of deer with the tag on the antlers. Technically this illegal..

"Once the head is severed from the carcass the tag should remain with the meat" Not the head.

And the antlers must still be attached to the skull not cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post
                    I wish the definition of “camp” was clarified. I hunt with my siblings at the family ranch we grew up on. Mom still lives there, but none of us do. Is that a “camp” for us, since we don’t live there? Or is it “a permanent residence” because it’s Mom’s home? We’ve always done our own butchering, and then let the freezers out there get everything frozen solid before we take it back to our own respective homes and freezers. Would I be able to loophole these transport restrictions by claiming I left a few packages of meat out there for Mom? (I do anyway, but I’ll be derned if I’m supposed know how I would prove that the theoretical GW that stopped me on the trip home.)
                    I'd say you'd have to give Mom a WRD https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...e_document.pdf to be allowed to process there. Once processed she can give the meat out like she sees fit.

Comment

what if I spend an equal amount of time at 2 residences, receive mail at both too.

Comment

How do yall do proof of sex? Do yall ever leave the huavos on the hind quarters?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket15 View Post
                          So if I own the land, have a house on on it with freezer but it’s not my permanent residence I can’t process the deer? I wouldn’t have thought twice about deboning,grinding up and freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          are you transporting?

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                            what if I spend an equal amount of time at 2 residences, receive mail at both too.
                            which one do you claim a homestead exemption on?

don't say both

Comment

Originally posted by meat>horns View Post
                              How do yall do proof of sex? Do yall ever leave the huavos on the hind quarters?
                              1. the head (skinned or unskinned) of a buck deer with antlers attached;
                              2. the head (skinned or unskinned) of an antlerless deer;
                              3. the unskinned head of a pronghorn; or
                              4. a completed Managed Lands Deer Program (MLDP) Tag, Antlerless Mule Deer Permit, CWD Check Station Receipt, or TPWD Drawn Hunt Legal Deer Tag.

Instead of proof of sex, the hunter may obtain a receipt from a taxidermist or a signed statement from the landowner or the landowner’s agent containing the following information:

Name of person who killed the wildlife resource;
                              Date the wildlife resource was killed; and
                              One of the following, as applicable: Whether the deer was antlered or antlerless; the sex of the pronghorn; the sex of the turkey and whether a beard was attached; or the sex of the pheasant.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                The has been the same for a very long time.. Nothing has changed.

And I see A LOT of deer with the tag on the antlers. Technically this illegal..

"Once the head is severed from the carcass the tag should remain with the meat" Not the head.

And the antlers must still be attached to the skull not cut off.
                                Edit. Never mind. Saw post above.

Made me think of a question. Let’s say we shoot a bunch of deer and donate the meat. The tags go with the meat but the head and antlers stay at the ranch. Since the meat was given away and presumably the tags are supposed to go with the meat, what happens if a GW comes into camp and there are heads without tags. There is a log book that documents each deer and corresponding tag number. Is that correct?
                                Last edited by lanceodom; 10-30-2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X