Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerky links are tough to beat.

Comment

Dried sausage. Cherry Spring Smokehouse.
      I do everything else myself.
      What most of my deer goes into is jerky, because the kids gobble it up. I also will cut some steaks, and of course save the back straps and tenderloins for cooking. The trimmings I will grind into sausage, mixed with pork shoulder from HEB.

Comment

Belleville meat market has some of the best Tamales I’ve ever had, summer sausage and link.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
          How do you do the fajitas? How do you season?
          Dude, go to the recipe section here and look up killer fajita, perfect name, they rock. I have never taken an animal to a processor. It's really not worth it, you can't really mess it up. It's what ever you want it be, steaks, roasts, jerky, stew, hamburger (mix with spices and get sausage)
          Last edited by critter69; 10-31-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            Some of you guys kill a lot of deer, but when you kill from zero to maybe two deer each season I don't think it's worth the time or investment to process myself, so I have it done.

As for suggestions, in addition to sausage and such I have them do a lean grind with no fat added. It works great for making ground jerky in my jerky shooter.
            I would much rather do one or two animals at a time myself. We have done 12 elk and several deer at a time, that's when I wish we would have had them done for us. But then again, the more you have the more it cost. And we know what we're getting, when done ourselves. One or two are really easy and I find it a waste of money to have some one else do it. And really all you need is a knife and grinder. One or two deer just about any cheap grinder will do. I can easily do two deer by my self in less then a day, cut and warped. A lot of guys just cut muscle groups and make what ever there going to make out of it when thawed, steaks, roast or what ever. That way is super easy, couple, three hours total.
            Last edited by critter69; 10-31-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I have the backstrap made into filets, tenderloins left whole, tenderized cutlets out of the hams and usually the rest made into burger mixed with brisket. I've had smoked sausage made as well as jerky in the past.

Comment

How much does your processor typically charge for back straps to be tenderized and the rest to be made into hamburger meat and sausage? I feel like I just got way over charged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hogmess View Post
                  Ever in the San Saba area I will give you a bunch of samples
                  Those look awesome, I would love to try some. And I occasionally drive through San Saba on the way to my deer lease.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                    How much does your processor typically charge for back straps to be tenderized and the rest to be made into hamburger meat and sausage? I feel like I just got way over charged

Depends how much sausage you got. Where I go its a 25lb minimum for sausage at around 2.99 a lb and for the hamburger if bone in its about a 1.00 lb

Comment

Did you bring your deer in gutted, quartered, bone in or out all makes a difference

Comment

Nothing! Because I don't take it to the processor I do it myself...

Comment

Originally posted by hogmess View Post
                          Antelope eggs

Bacon wrapped Marinades

What is the antelope egg all about ?

Comment

Rice sausage! YOu will thank me later!

Comment

processing is my wife's favorite part of hunting season. she's always trying new things.

Comment

What do I get done at the processor?? About as much as the Cowboys get done on offense, Nothing!!

For the few animals I harvest I just debone most of it and find a way to cook it depending on what it is. For example, I roasted the ribs and let them cool... I than shredded the meat in a blender and use it to make machacado.

Comment

Working...
                                X