No announcement yet.

All around hunting rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

270, 30-06, 308 and dare I say 6.5 Creedmoor. These are all great all around calibers with less punishing recoil. We outfitted for many years for whitetail, mule deer and elk and found that most hunters trying to shoot the magnum calibers, especially for whitetail were not very accurate as they were recoil shy. I would much rather have a hunter shooting one of the before mentioned calibers putting bullets in the kill zone than a hunter spraying bullets from the heavier calibers.
    Adios,
    Gary

Comment

For my "one gun" I still go with my 30-06.

Comment

300 will definitely get the job done. When it come to the larger game like elk large body mulies in my opinio. I would like to have a larger caliber and I like making longer shots as well. Lot of people use 308 and 6.5 creedmoor for all these species as well to. What I have seen is damage to meat blood shot and bone fragments in whitetail with 270 on up to magnums. The bergara I have heard a lot of good things about them. The 7mm mag 6.5x284 and others will do the job also with less recoil than the 300 win mag. It may not hurt to pick one with a little more energy and a wide selection of ammo. 30-06 300wm 7mm mag even 270. 270 probably having the worst ballistics.

Comment

7mm WSM

Comment

300 Win Mag all day every day. I usually don't make bad shots, but the biggest deer I have ever killed was found only because I was shooting my 300. Happened quick and was a very marginal shot, but that 300 Win Mag had enough energy and created enough shock that it got the job done. Any caliber will kill with perfect shot placement, but not all will kill with marginal placement. The thing with my 300 is, that when I am squeezing the trigger, I have zero doubt about the outcome.

Comment

270 wsm

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                300 Win Mag all day every day. I usually don't make bad shots, but the biggest deer I have ever killed was found only because I was shooting my 300. Happened quick and was a very marginal shot, but that 300 Win Mag had enough energy and created enough shock that it got the job done. Any caliber will kill with perfect shot placement, but not all will kill with marginal placement. The thing with my 300 is, that when I am squeezing the trigger, I have zero doubt about the outcome.

I agree about zero doubt about outcome,, which is why I prefer the 45-70,,,

Comment

Working...
                X