No announcement yet.

Cactus Buck kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if the local Cowboys are putting bands on those bucks so they will be steers????

Comment

mjhaverkamp here on tbh hunts 2-3 miles as the crow flies from us. A few years back they were watching a nice 140-150 deer. It walked over and mounted another 140-150 inch buck. They were wondering what was going on. They shot the buck out from under the other one. It had no male parts. I believe it was still in velvet too. It scored 145ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
        Hunted Llano the last 13 years, just moved to Melvin. A few were killed each year. Lichen consumption is what I heard from a Biologist also. It grows on the granite outcroppings and the deer nibble it off and it affects their hormones.
        Good eating! They cannot breed so might as well harvest them all if you can.
        Ironic I hunt Castell and just north of Melvin. Small world.

Ya they don’t breed and really don’t hang around many other deer. They never rut, just eat. Best venison in the world.

Comment

In an AR county these have to get a pass if they don't meet the requirements right?

We had one a couple of years ago. I spoke to the game warden and sent him pics and asked if we could harvest it but he didn't have a clear answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
            In an AR county these have to get a pass if they don't meet the requirements right?

We had one a couple of years ago. I spoke to the game warden and sent him pics and asked if we could harvest it but he didn't have a clear answer.

And I don't mean for that to stir the pot. It was a serious question in case we see another one. It took everything I had to not give it a dirt nap!

Comment

We killed on on our place it's name was Kaitlyn

Comment

And I don't mean for that to stir the pot. It was a serious question in case we see another one. It took everything I had to not give it a dirt nap!

I don’t hunt in any AR country with that said after a lengthy conversation with two different game wardens I conceded to tag them as an antlered deer, there for AR branched antler and spread would apply in a AR country.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                  I don’t hunt in any AR country with that said after a lengthy conversation with two different game wardens I conceded to tag them as an antlered deer, there for AR branched antler and spread would apply in a AR country.

Gotcha. That's what I would think also.

Comment

I've only ever seen one, myself. A muley in Culberson Co.

Comment

An antlered deer is defined as having hard antler, meaning not in velvet. I would assume you could count these on your doe tag based on that definition.

Comment

I asked the game warden this very question. Actually 3. I got three different answers. I tagged mine as an antlered. Was checked the next morning and the GW said it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldawg87 View Post
                          An antlered deer is defined as having hard antler, meaning not in velvet. I would assume you could count these on your doe tag based on that definition.
                          That is incorrect, lot of bucks shot in south Texas in Oct that are in velvet. Infact ask Las Raices what his past state record was classified as antlered or antlerless.

Over the past 20 years I have yet to get a game warden to declare a stag as antlerless. I would shot five a year in a heart beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldawg87 View Post
                            So you are telling me if I shoot my target buck during the season in velvet I can use a antlerless tag..?

Comment

Originally posted by goldtip5575 View Post
                              I know where that one was killed. Between Llano and Buchanan. Schmidt Electric has that place leased. Huge piece of property. 17,000 acres I think. Cool Place.
                              That's it. Was an awesome hunt. Keeps me using them for sure lol. I killed this guy too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot one many years ago about 5 miles northeast of Mason. He had nuts, but they were very small. We hunted several years on that lease and he was the only one taken or seen. I sold those antlers but from what I recall he was a 6 point.

Comment

Working...
                                X