No announcement yet.

Lake Travis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That steep, limestone country is to efficient at shedding water...

You folks be careful down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      Last Reading: 676.48 Oct 16 2018 12:15PM
      Almost at 680 on Travis

Last Reading: 679.62 Oct 16 2018 2:15PM

Still rising about 14-15" per hour

Comment

I have been on Travis when it came up a foot over night. And it hadnt rained anywhere near what it has for the last week. That lake rises and falls stupid fast when it wants

Comment

I remember in the early 90's there was a flood and water was coming into Lake Travis I went to one of the parks and set up for cat fishing. Bite was on, I would put a stick in the ground about a foot from the waters edge and then time how long it took to reach the stick. It was usually about 45-50 minutes.

Comment

They are predicting future rise to 1016-1018 Seems low to me...But the Colorado will drop fast if it doesn't rain more..So 1018 may be about right.

Lake level forecast: The level of Lake Buchanan is expected to rise to a range of 1016 to 1018 feet msl in the next 24 hours
            They raised predictions on Buchanan finally. Saying 1018-1020 now. Slow pokes.

Buchanan
            Last Reading: 1016.69 Oct 16 2018 2:45PM

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              You’d be surprised how many folks think a lake is like pool[emoji23]
              That kiddy pool is filling up way faster than you thought huh?

Comment

Buchanan 1017
                Travis 682

They need to pull their heads out and raise outlooks BEFORE the numbers pass them again.. Geez

Buchanan inflows jumped up to 40k CFS on the Colorado and San Saba river is above flood stage in San Saba.

At least the Llano River is down a lot from it's peak but I think it's supposed to rise again soon. And open more flood gates on Travis BEFORE your forced to LCRA.

Comment

I have spent some time today looking at the LCRA website. They list their criteria for releasing water. Most of it has to do with the predicted lake levels. If those predictions are off everything gets out of sorts it seems.

Comment

Living in SETX for 30 years I have gotten used to floods but our floods don't have high currents also. Yawl up north stay safe and get to high ground.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                      I have spent some time today looking at the LCRA website. They list their criteria for releasing water. Most of it has to do with the predicted lake levels. If those predictions are off everything gets out of sorts it seems.
                      Travis can take a hell of a lot of water.....and Mansfield can let a hell of a lot out. I just hope their calculations are all right. It's almost as interesting to me as it is scary.

Comment

One cubic foot per second equals 448.8 gallons per minute. The Llano peaked at 275,000 cfs earlier today.
                        And two months ago the whole county was burning up from fires.
                        Mind blowing when you think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                          One cubic foot per second equals 448.8 gallons per minute. The Llano peaked at 275,000 cfs earlier today.
                          And two months ago the whole county was burning up from fires.
                          Mind blowing when you think about it.
                          It's a shame it takes a multi-generational flood, or frozen ice chunks the size of baseballs falling from the sky, to get some moisture these days.
                          Last edited by Dale Moser; 10-16-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

crazy

Comment

Travis Last Reading: 686.32 Oct 16 2018 6:45PM

Buchanan -
                              Last Reading: 1017.62 Oct 16 2018 6:45PM

And they now say they will open floodgates at Buchanan

I just don't understand why they didn't start releasing water last night or worse case early this morning when the flood was coming...

Comment

Travis Last Reading: 686.32 Oct 16 2018 6:45PM

Buchanan -
                                Last Reading: 1017.62 Oct 16 2018 6:45PM

And they now say they will open floodgates at Buchanan

I just don't understand why they didn't start releasing water last night or worse case early this morning when the flood was coming...
                                Can’t jump the gun and let out all of Austin’s drinking water

Comment

Working...
                                X