Me and Chappy from Van Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and Chappy from Van Horn

I loaded up my pick up truck last week and took a 6 hour drive to Van Horn for a rifle hunt in the Van Horn Mountains. Met my guide at the Pilot truck stop in Van Horn, from there we drove south on HWY 90 an hour. Arrived at our little ranch house and set up camp. The game plan was discussed and we would head out at 5 and hike into the mountains before daylight carrying day packs.

Well, my camelback had a leak in it, so I carried 12 bottles of water, energy bars, sammich, ammo and a few other things I did not need. Throw a 9 pound rifle on top of all that and we are good to go.

I got up about 4am and needed to use the wifi in my pickup truck for some business transactions, while I was standing outside of my truck, I heard a scratching noise under my hood. Lo and behold a field mouse decided to make a condo out of my engine compartment overnight, I ran the dang thang off and said a few words.

We headed out and got to a parking spot, loaded up and took off. We hiked in several miles before daylight and sat up on a ledge, ready to glass.

Once daylight hit and we started glassing. If you look over to the upper right hand corner of that picture there is a red mountain, we soon found a herd of Barbary Sheep there. 1800 yards away.

Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

While we was sittin there arguing and tellin lies, I figured I take a few pics of the scenery.

Comment

[ATTACH]928880[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]928881[/ATTACH]

Comment

Love that country, good luck!!

Comment

We was right next to Rio Grande river and I could see a little village over on the Mexico side. I inquired about it and was told it was abandoned. The cartel had came in one day and told them folks they had 24 hours to leave or they would all die.

Comment

Beautiful country, good luck

Comment

Bad ***. Love that country.

Comment

Well we had to figure on how to get to that red mountain without being busted by the Sheep. We figured out a path and 2 hours later we got within 500 yards of them. Man that was some tough walking.

If you look about center mountain they is a bare spot there and the herd was grazing. We took our packs off and crawled up on a knoll. We could not get any closer, a dang ewe spotted us and was watching.

We was 402 yards from them and it was the only place to make a shot.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

When the ewe spotted us we all froze. I laid on my back with my rifle on my chest. She finally settled down and we made our move.

I threw my pack up in front of my and crawled up. I asked for yardage again and he said 402. I cranked my turret up 2.8moa, and soon realized this shot was gonna suck.

Comment

I could not get behind the rifle, my body was angled away from the buttstock. I had about an inch of butt pad on the edge of my shoulder and was cradling the rest of the buttstock with my left hand. I was too far up on the stock and I thought the scope would hit me in my purty face.

I seen Chappy through my scope and he was a good un.

Comment

My guide whispered we aint got all day dude. I centered the crosshairs on his shoulder and shot. I did not hear a thump, and the only thing I heard after that was you missed.

I just looked down at the ground and shucked another round. All I could think about was missing that Nilgai on the King Ranch at 160 yards, and here I just stunk up this place

Comment

Oh wow. Cool story so far.

Comment

Reckon about then my guide said he dead. Old Chappy just sat down and died.

Comment

Working...
                              X