Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bumping deer on the way in to your stand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have too high of a population not to spook them trying to sneak in. My strategy is to snot sneak in, if you're sneaking they know something is up. I play hog grunts on my phone every 30 seconds as I'm walking in and they leave the area but not spooked and they come back as soon as I get quiet.

Comment

As stated, about the only things you can do are try and get in there a little earlier and set timer to go off a bit later.

I would also agree with another poster that said, setup your stand to where you can walk in without passing the feeder. I know that's not always possible due to terrain.

The deer on our place are pretty lazy in the morning, just not much movement before legal shooting light, so I've never bumped one in the evening. I've bumped a few walking in for an evening hunt though.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
        Or you could stop baiting and/or hunting over bait. Catch them on their way to and from.
        Add some sport to it!
        The Horror

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
          but these guys do a very good job of clean up

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Looks like you got yourself a big nasty in that group!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Same for us. We have deer that will stage and wait for the feeder to go off 40-50 yards away from the pen too and getting in without bumping them can be a chore.We just can't control where they will be. And I know I'm speaking to the choir...just conversing..
            You have obviously forgotten the advice about crawling to and from your stand.

Comment

Man I bump deer all the time. Come in early with red light and basically slip around them if i can... Darker the night the better and more at ease they are. If they can see shadows they spook big time. Usually i get done climbing my tree and can almost instantly hear them walking back in towards feeder.

Now, I do hunt central to west Texas. That would not fly in East Tex. They always spookier in the east, in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb03 View Post
                Yes, you need to be in the stand more than 20 minutes early. I try and be situated almost an hour before the feeder throws.
                x2

Comment

I bumped a good buck sat. afternoon that apparently ate some of my hand corn and decided to stay there. He was feet from my ladder. I got to the stand at 3:45 and the last 15 before dark he came back. Only reason i did not shoot him was because it was hot and i did not want to jack with him.
                  I bump deer just about every time i get to the stand and never have any problem seeing them a few hours later. I typically get to the stand 1.5 before light and way to early in the afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by Hocks & horns View Post
                    Exactly!

Hunt life,
                    Don't over think it. Play the wind and cover your scent. Go hunt and spend time in the stand. You can't kill them sitting at home.
                    I hear ya stayed sitting this morning till almost 10 only seen 4 doe that usually come in but decided not to had perfect wind straight at me well see this evening

Comment

[QUOTE=Hunt life;13686537]I hear ya stayed sitting this morning till almost 10 only seen 4 doe that usually come in but decided not to had perfect wind straight at me well see this evening[/QUOTE]

Best of luck

Comment

[quote=flywise;13686548]
                        Originally posted by Hunt life View Post
                        I hear ya stayed sitting this morning till almost 10 only seen 4 doe that usually come in but decided not to had perfect wind straight at me well see this evening[/QUOTE]

Best of luck
                        Thanks I think I need tapatalk app so I can post pictures of a live hunt going to look into it now is there a way to post pictures on the regular web or only through taptalk

Comment

Working...
                        X