• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
    I say no.
    agree

Comment

Originally posted by gmac View Post
      I blacked out his head cause I didn’t want to derail the thread with talks about his antlers. He is an impressive deer and my property is in a populated area. Wanted the discussion to stay on the injury.

Thanks for all the opinions.
      I thought he was in some kind of witness protection program.[emoji2]

Comment

I’ve seen them survive worse injuries...but I’ve also seen them get caught by coyotes too. They are very tough animals, and I think the odds are in his favor, but not 100% sure he’ll make it. Regardless, I would expect it to affect his horn growth next year

Comment

I thought maybe the head was blacked out so that the neighborhood folks that were feeding him wouldn't recognize the deer........I kid!

Comment

Not if you use Rage according to some threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This guy was a constant on my place last season. We have a lot of pictures of him. He was seen live once (from a distance in bow season). Hobbled about and even made the rounds in rut. His injury evidently occurred before antler growth. They are tough animals. Don’t count yours out and don’t think that he will be any less harder to hunt (if you decide to hunt him).

This guy is a no show so far this summer/fall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3878827D-4BEA-42D2-A684-DF6083E48D1B.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	24555778

Comment

deer with 3 good legs are fast. More likely than not he will be fine

Comment

Honestly it looks like a broadhead through the lower leg to me, probably severed tendons is why he is walking on the top of the foot. Someone made a low shot, may have busted the bone, if coyotes don't get him he will prob make it. I've seen shots like this before and I have seen survivors and non survivors.

Comment

I had a similar issue a couple of years ago with a buck who had a baseball size hole in his thigh - I could see dry, nasty tissue in his leg with my binos. He couldn't use the leg at all and it was obvious he wouldn't last long and, if the yotes got him, it would be a miserable way to go.
                    I ate a buck tag on him. He was 3.5, not quite 13" (I was in a non-AR county), and his entire rear left quarter was trash.
                    If a deer has a broken leg, mal-formed leg, etc. - they can survive just fine. But infections will work their way into muscles, etc. and the deer will become yote bait.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                      It looks as if he's soaking wet. Perhaps he has fever and was in a pond/creek? The tissue looks necrotic or is water logged. I have seen some deer like this survive and some have passed. I think you're at a 50/50 ratio. Their will to live is unlike anything I have ever seen though.
                      Yeah, he looks wet. Might want to check the nearest pond or creek from time to time. If he dies it will likely be there.

Comment

He will not survive

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Yeah, he looks wet. Might want to check the nearest pond or creek from time to time. If he dies it will likely be there.
                          This picture is about 50 yards from one of our tanks. He has food, water and good cover in very close proximity. All good reasons for him to stay close to this area. We will focus our efforts over the next couple weeks around this area and hopefully get a shot on him.

Comment

Originally posted by gmac View Post
                            This picture is about 50 yards from one of our tanks. He has food, water and good cover in very close proximity. All good reasons for him to stay close to this area. We will focus our efforts over the next couple weeks around this area and hopefully get a shot on him.

If you kill him please post up pics of these antlers big enough to black out ...

Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              If you kill him please post up pics of these antlers big enough to black out ...

Good luck...

I have him at 138 1/2" worth of blackout.

Comment

We shall call him tripod. Probably out there walking in circles.

I don't think he will make it. Like others have said, infection will get worse and predators will feast.

Comment

Working...
                                X