Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro's and Con's of OWNING a camper trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
    Strictly my opinion here as I have buddies that love having them. I do not like them at all personally. I live in one 4 days a week for work only because with payment on it and insurance with rent at RV Park, comes out cheaper than rent or another mortgage.

Pros: you have your own space with all the amenities of being at home wherever you go

Cons: everything that isn’t what I stated in the pro’s section. (Maintenance, depreciation, cheaply made, a hassle when wanting to bring other toys such as four wheeler, much more expnsive than just staying in a tent or hotel, etc.)
    Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
    If you're leaning toward no, then don't get one. My wife and I bought one a few years back. I now have it parked on my deer hunting property and it hasn't been moved in 4 or 5 years. We traveled some in it, but it was more hassle than it was worth. We like to explore when we travel, particularly in the mountains. We found lots of back roads we wanted to explore, but couldn't when we had the trailer in tow. The increased fuel cost, and campground fees meant that we weren't actually saving any money over motel costs.
    These two.

If you're not sure you would use it a lot then do not get one. May be worth renting one a couple times to see if you don't mind towing it etc..

Just get a B&B, hotel or motel...Would be cheaper unless you "camp" a lot.

Comment

We bought one this summer and have tried to run the wheels off of it.
      Pros: family loves it when we take it to vacations. They had a blast this summer, and we are planning on Yellowstone next summer. We bought a generator and solar and will be doing even more boondocking.
      Consrobably several we took the depreciation and maintenance issues in mind when we bought. Wouldnt trade it for the fun we had this summer. When the kids are too old/cool to camp with mom and dad as long as we had a blast will be all I cared about.

Comment

For the costs of buying some RV's, upkeep and/or storage and extra fuel costs, you can stay a lot of nights in a motel. Worst purchase I made was a 33' triple slide 5th wheel, already had the 1 ton diesel to pull it with, but it was a pain towing, a pain getting to some spots on our travels such as stations when you had to refuel and there is not a truck stop close plus as some said the deteriation unless you keep it under a cover out of the elements. I have a cheap one for the lease but never again will I buy one for travel.

Comment

It is like a boat. You have to plan to use it. IF not it will never get used.
          We love it. Don't use it enough. My kids love it.

My biggest problem with it. is the stupid inspection that you have to do. I understand the safety reason but... That is a huge pain in the butt. Most inspection places are not meant for a TT. So its a circle jerk and they just walk around it.

Comment

There are no real cons to it

If you use it and spent quality time with your family it's worth every penny. Get a state park pass and enjoy it. It's cheap and fun.

Comment

buy a clean used one a few years old. Educate yourself on what used ones are selling for look for a decent deal and use it for several months or a year. If you don't like it you can sell it for close to what you paid for it.

It is much nicer when on vacation to have your own space set up like you want it. You can relax outside and cook your own meals. If you take out the cost of the camper it is a much cheaper way to travel.

IMO, it is much better suited to trips that you will be staying multiple nights in one place as opposed to moving every day

Comment

RV it stands for ruins vacation

Comment

I bought a slightly used pop-up ten years ago for $2500. Everything but a bathroom including A/C, microwave, fridge, etc. Stays in my garage ready to go except perishable food. No storage cost and out of the elements. We enjoy it four times a year and I can sell it for what I paid for it.

Comment

Rent one a few times....www.americandreamvacations.net
                    I'll always be a renter of RV's. no storage, not clean up, no bullshavick.
                    -costs about the same as a nice hotel per night.

Comment

We camp 2 or 3 times a year in ours. I bought it brand new, but I think I got an ok deal on it. I had a 24'x36' carport put up at the house for it and my boat. Best part was when Harvy flooded my house we had a place to stay for 5 months. And I don't have to load or unload much when we do camp.

Comment

Pro's and Con's of OWNING a camper trailer?

Best advice I can give you is buy used. They plummet in value quickly.

We have a 2006 model 5th wheel that we bought and the only issue I know it is starting to have is the floor on the slide out is starting to go bad. But this one was lived in full time and exposed to the elements and rigors of full time living and that’s not what they are designed for. Even if I have to replace the flooring, that’s a TON cheaper than a new one the same size with the same amenities.

If you can park it under covered storage and keep power hooked to it, that is the best situation.

We use ours 1-2 times per month typically all the way to deer season then we use it as our lease camper. If you are going to occasionally use it definitely shop wisely and buy a solid used unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Last edited by Mike D; 10-04-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Whatever you do stay away from a hybrid camper (mix between pop up and regular camper).
                          Ours is nice for the lease cause it is small enough to maneuver into a spot but not a fan of the design. Both bunks have had to be rebuilt due to leaks and it is not a fun project.

Comment

I would rent from RVshare. My family wouldn't use it enough to justify making payments for it. The folks renting theirs out are people who thought they had to have one but learned quickly they are making monthly payments for a large non moving item crowding the driveway with little usage. If you got enough money and can afford it go for it.

Comment

If you don't need one for the deer lease, just rent one when you go camping....unless y'all go weekly. You'll come out WAY ahead.

Comment

Just an idea, but buy a really nice heavy duty tent to keep out of the elemnts in cooler months. Then use VRBO to rent a nice place if it's too hot or too cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X