X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 04-08 5.4 are different versions then the other 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by R.W.T View Post
      What’s a cam phaser and how much is that ? My 04 5.4 runs good but sounds like a typewriter kinda
      The ticking can be fixed by changing out the vct's most of the time. They allow the oil to get to your timing chain and phasers.

Comment

I had an 2005 with that motor from new. normal maintenance was the sparkplugs and two sets of coil packs. timing chain broke and broke through valve cover at 237k. I weighed the cost to repair at near 2K but i think the transmission was nearing issues. so i decided against. other things i had done was basically all the front suspension coil over struts and upper and lower ball joints stab links and ujoint arms. and the driveshaft had just dropped out so $600 for that new. first of this year i bought a 2015 used with the 5.0. save your money and get the 5.0 in as far back as 2011 to save money. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
          Looking a FX4 2004 with a 5.4 motor. I’m not as familiar with the Ford engines as I am Chevy. Thoughts/feedback on this year model and engine. Has 150k miles and looks really clean.
          I have this truck, (picked her up her on TBH,) and it currently has 200,000 plus miles. Not the best for towing, but I don't tow that much. I really love this thing. Has only let me down once, when it failed to see a stopped bus on the freeway. Fender bender, and A/C hose replaced. Gas mileage is pretty good if you don't lead foot. I got 400 miles to a full tank this past summer. I usually get about 340.

I plan to have a rebuilt engine put in it if it ever gives up the ghost. Those new trucks sure are much smoother and quieter though.

Comment

Best gas motor I ever owned, kept mine until my daughter turned 16, she drove it for three years and it had 230,000 when we sold it and was still going strong. Burned about a quart between oil changes at that point. Transmission was solid too.

Comment

I put 392,000 miles on one from 2000 through 2012 until the original tranny blew out. Never did a thing but change the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                Ask for records of when the plugs were last changed. Mine broke off my 200 F250 when I try to change them at 80,000 miles. Cost me $2,500 to replace a head. This is a known weakness of this engine

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                You got took if a mechanic changed an entire head out for a broken off plug.

Comment

Working...
                X