No announcement yet.

School me on OTC elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that everybody has a podcast and/or youtube channel about back country hunting isn't helping the over crowded OTC units . The podcasts I have listened to "lots of hunters" seemed to be a common theme this year. I don't really have a point other than don't expect to be the only hunter on the mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by matt21418 View Post
      hey man just wanted to follow-up on my previous post, some other things I recommend and what got me hooked initially were a few podcasts. Check out the early Gritty Bowmen podcasts, especially those featuring Aron Snyder. That dude is a wealth of backcountry knowledge, he has also spun off his own podcast now called Kifarucast. some other places with lots of info as well as paid classes/information access Elk101.com, roehuntingresources.com. These are some of the places I have been and learned a lot. Depending on the experience you are looking for DIY is possible in any form or fashion, I recommend camping in the backcountry to avoid the drive and hike each day but I know others that have down it with a drive and hike each day. I just finished my 3rd hunt and what many others have said above is true, get in shape don't worry about super light gear if you are hauling around an extra 50 lbs with you get to the gym and loose that weight. Get the best gear you can afford, buy used there are lots of great forums that have backcountry gear for sale. Learn animal behavior, you will learn how and when they move, and how to e-scout for them to reduce your search areas, have back up plans when going places and don't be afraid to bail and move one if you aren't seeing sign of animals. There is so much more but dive in the waters great and the experience is one that you won't soon forget.

thanks for the info on the podcasts, I listen to a few a week and always looking for a new one.

Comment

I just completed my first OTC public land, solo hunt. Learned a lot from reading and watching. Most helpful things are GoHunt and OnX maps. Join both of them. Then start researching. Get on Rokslide too. Lots of guys willing to help us newbies out. Then just go. don't make up reasons not to go. Don't worry about the latest equipment. Just buy a tag and go hunt. I saw over 50 elk on my trip. But I did a lot of research using OnX and Gohunt plus google earth. I talked to people and gathered all the info I could.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
          I dont mean to hi jack, but might help us both kinda question.

I have access to private land that backs up to public Gila National Forest. Can the NM land owner give me tags without me drawing? Or do I have to draw regardless?

He sends me pics of huge Elk in his yard. It's in NM unit 16 B.

I tried looking on line and it was confusing to me lol
          I believe you could hunt just his place and no one else could but if you want to hunt the whole unit then the whole unit could hunt his place.. not 100% sure though

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
            I believe you could hunt just his place and no one else could but if you want to hunt the whole unit then the whole unit could hunt his place.. not 100% sure though

Private access/ownership does not grant the right to hunt. The property must have tags issued by the state. Property owners must apply for the tags- there are two types may be issued- 1) Ranch Only that would be issued only for the deeded average of the property and 2) Unit Wide, which allows for hunting all federal public land (that are open for hunting) and the ranch for which they were issued if you have written permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
              Private access/ownership does not grant the right to hunt. The property must have tags issued by the state. Property owners must apply for the tags- there are two types may be issued- 1) Ranch Only that would be issued only for the deeded average of the property and 2) Unit Wide, which allows for hunting all federal public land (that are open for hunting) and the ranch for which they were issued if you have written permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Randal is correct. If a landowner enters and receives for a unit wide tag it opens his/her property up to public. A Ranch tag does not. There is a list of properties that are open because of Unit wide LO vouchers, you can get that list from NMGF
              Last edited by Texans42; 10-02-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I hunted a very low success, very high hunter number unit this year. We were into elk every day and never ran into a hunter in the field. Like other have said, the elk are where the elk are, and sometimes it's not far off roads, and sometimes people think elk are way farther back than they are.

The area we were in had lots of elk and no hunters. It was kinda hard to get to, but our packet was maybe 30 min to the truck. Not an easy 30min, but not far from the truck. If you hunt where the elk are pushed by other folks and those same folks are willing to go, you can be successful.

Also, remember a bunch of the guys who have videos and podcasts hunt differently than a first timer should for a number of reasons. The born and raised outdoors guys, if i remember, run and gun and bugle a lot. This can be a terrible option for a guy who can't bugle and is in a pressured unit where bulls are smart. They are in great shape and can cover ground, and also know areas that hold elk. A first timer would have a hard time hunting this way. Cow calls are much safer than bugles IMO, and smart pressured bulls are hard to bugle at.

Comment

Working...
                X