No announcement yet.

Headed to Colorado and need some boots...Danner vs Irish Setter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only boot I’d buy from Danner is the gila, and I’d just pass on Irishsetter.

Lowa renegade is great boot, Salmon 4d is a great no break in type boot but durability is an issue.

Comment

Couple quick questions: What do you recommend for additional waterproofing? Do the Lowa's and Danners fit true to size? Do you recommend boot liners?

Comment

Originally posted by texasproud11 View Post
        Couple quick questions: What do you recommend for additional waterproofing? Do the Lowa's and Danners fit true to size? Do you recommend boot liners?
        I just clean and treat my boots with nikwax.

As far as sizing. Every Solomon product I have tried runs very narrow. I was up at the local REI a couple of weeks ago trying trail shoes and I tried the Solomon brand that was advertised as wide. It was still to narrow. I ended up buying a different brand.

The Lowa's for me tend to run a little short. You can try on the next half to full size up if they feel short to you.

Comment

Originally posted by texasproud11 View Post
          Going to do an Elk Hunt at the end of October in Southern Colorado and want to get some advice on sub 200$ boots. We will be truck camping and possibly doing some overnight backpacking if we can't find them close. I've narrowed it down to Danner 400g Pronghorns and Irish Setter Vaptrek 400gs. Any thoughts out there? Do either of them translate back to bowhunting the Hill Country? I know they won't be outstanding at that price point but just looking for the better of the two. Appreciate the tips on other budget gear as well. I'm not shooting this year, just glassing and packing.
          Didn't read the responses, but do yourself a favor and go uninsulated with good socks, much easier on your feet. Also, get fitted for some good insoles. I know you said $200, but I paid $70 just for insoles, and its like I am walking on a cloud, even with 70 lbs on my back.

Either way, I hope you can get some miles on them before you go.

Comment

I know nothing about Danner but the reports are all good otherwise. I had 2 pair of Irish Setters and they're good boots.
            Whatever you buy, wear them under all conditions for several days and MAKE SURE they are broke in before you go. Never take new boots on a trip.

Good luck.

Comment

Lot of research on boots lately, and came to the conclusion of Lowa Renegades, but really was hoping not to pay the standard $230 for them. Amazing variation of pricing online, if you look. Catch may be that certain sizes may only be available at certain low pricing. I got lucky and found my size about $50 off. Have only hiked around the neighborhood with 50# pack, so far. But like them fine. Particularly like the leather aspect. The fact that JT Larkin carried three 170-pound loads of New Mexico elk 4.5 miles each way wearing those boots is almost all I need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                Lot of research on boots lately, and came to the conclusion of Lowa Renegades, but really was hoping not to pay the standard $230 for them. Amazing variation of pricing online, if you look. Catch may be that certain sizes may only be available at certain low pricing. I got lucky and found my size about $50 off. Have only hiked around the neighborhood with 50# pack, so far. But like them fine. Particularly like the leather aspect. The fact that JT Larkin carried three 170-pound loads of New Mexico elk 4.5 miles each way wearing those boots is almost all I need to know.
                This link will get them for 200.00 shipped

Comment

Found some Lowa's on clearance for 130 in black and went true to size before the trip. They worked great on comfort, durability and waterproofing (I even wadefished in them). They came up short in being a little cold but it wasn't bugging me at all and likely could've been better with a liner. It would've bothered in the middle of winter and snow but I'm glad I can use them in Texas without soaking my feet in sweat. Came home with some meat too!

Comment

Working...
                  X