No announcement yet.

Nilgai Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do it yourself, I did mine. Left on ice for about a week. Mine wasn't tough at all.

Comment

I hunted with Lomas Chicas and guided gutted him in the field, trucked him to the hanging cooler on the ranch, I filled out paperwork for El Campo in Kingsville, and never touched it agin until the processing was done. El Campo came to the ranch and picked the animal up. It was worth it to me and the wife liked the meat so much I’ve gotten the “pass” to go back and get a cow every other year.

jrg

Comment

Kayote is always posting specials but most of his hunts are at night, i had my nilgai processed and it was darn good! Wife said we need to stock up the freezer again this year with another nilgai so hopefully we will have some come thru our lease. Jalapeño amd cheese sausage is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
          King ranch all the way and let Hibler do the processing. After you pull the trigger you won’t have to lift a finger. They come down weekly with an 18 wheeler and get pick up the animals. Also they make good nilgai tamales.
          Hiblers does a fantastic job on processing and taxidermy. You won’t be disappointed

Comment

*Warning* My Personal Hibler's Experience

Sorry to derail, OP but i feel it is relevant. I used to take everything to Hibler's. My family used them exclusively for a long time.

After being cursed out by the son on multiple occasions, (where I parked my truck, questioning the meat I received, etc) I'll never go back. "What the f*** are you doing parked there?! Get your *** in your truck and go …. If you don't like it, take it somewhere else" I was 16 at the time of the first cursing incident. I've also heard the same about Mr Hibler but I have had no problems with him during our many interactions.

Our current receptionist worked for a competitor (not anymore so no reason for bias) and she said they received hundreds of complaints about Hibler's, specifically regarding the processing alone. (Taxi work is very good, admittedly). "Just, don't expect your own meat back." Maybe that wont be the case for nilgai since they may not have a huge, "community meat pile" as they do with whitetail. I don't know about you guys but when I have a deer processed, I want MY deer back... Not the old, poorly handled buck the guy behind me dropped off.

Nowadays, I take everything to El Campo (in K'ville). Not at all affiliated. I've just been repeatedly screwed and treated like crap by the alternative. Given all the customer service rants I see on here, figured I'd let y'all know.
            Last edited by BlackHogDown; 10-02-2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I enjoy butchering myself and I have studied how get better at it. It is part of the hunt after all. No one is going to care for your animal better then you will. I took a bear one year and I didn't really know how to butcher it and I will leaving the next day so he went to a butcher. Most things though it's me and the kids.

Comment

Working...
              X