• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	24555316

Shameless, I know..only pic I got of the blind.

My blind is east of the pen and the afternoon sun shining on the windows is a problem.
    I keep all windows shut and airtight as possible until time to shoot, and I only shoot out of 2 of the 3.
    Opening the window is the make or break moment, not drawing my bow.

I added camo net to give the windows a little depth and shade for when I open it.

Interesting topic, I always wondered how others hunted these blinds.
    And I throw my Ozonics on the top of the blind, pouring ozone down over that front window.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
      I took a $4 black towel from walmart and cut it into 1/3's and rolled the top up in a wrap around lead decoy weight and zip tied the weight in place. I hang them on the top shelf part of the window frames covering up the windows I don't use to make it darker inside and use one folded up to make the shooting hole smaller! Make's a big difference IMO. It's black inside the blind now. I always hunt with just 1 window open.
      Went and bought supply’s for this today. Will update once installed

Comment

My blind is elevated on a 5' platform and I usually keep 1 window all the way open, sit in the very back of the blind (my back is basically against the door). The deer are not bothered at all they don't bust me. I do also wear black on my face and dark clothing as well.

Comment

All of my blinds face East..the only time I have ever had an issue is if I try to open a window once deer are in front. I believe they see the reflection change as the window opens.

So now I just get in and open all windows or just the one I want to shoot out of before any deer show up.

Comment

I hunt with my main shooting window open the entire hunt with no issues. The only time I will leave all windows closed is if it’s really cold or the wind is swirling.

Comment

Some good ideas. I keep only my shooting window open, sit in the back, and wear a face mask. Not much problem doing this with hand corn usually at 10-12 yards for my kids. If they don’t hear the arrow sliding through the whisker biskit on the draw they are in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

no need to paint inside of blind. They are dark. No sun comes through blinds. So even though blind is dark green, inside it is just dark. My deer do not seem to care much about the windows opened or closed. If you are pointing east or direct in the sun I bet there is a glair on them and when opened there is nothing. Might try the towel trick. Sounded interesting.

Comment

Kinda defeats the purpose of having glass windows to just paint them or am I missing what your saying?

Comment

Not sure I'll get around to doing it this season but I'm thinking about insulating a couple of my tank blinds with some of those anti-fatigue/workout foam mats. Much cheaper than the egg crate.

The ones at costco are relatively pliable and should help provide some insulation from the sun.

I would probably uss a staple gun to secure them to the tank along with some industrial adhesive like liquid nails.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                      Kinda defeats the purpose of having glass windows to just paint them or am I missing what your saying?
                      That was my first thought as well - I want to be able to see out of the closed windows. However I do think the deer (on my place anyway) notice something is different when a window is open. I only open the middle window anyway so maybe painting it flat black would make it look the same open or closed. I noticed last year that for a couple weeks in December the early morning sun shines directly on one of my closed windows. Even with the tint it illuminates the interior of the blind considerably. I made a fold down curtain to solve that problem this year.

Comment

My main theory on deer noticing if a window is open is above....scent I think being the major factor if the window is already open when they arrive...

But my second theory is if a window is open you are usually in there observing watching a deer's every single move. If he looks at the blind we assume its because he thinks a window is open....when in fact its probably what they do every time we are not there as well. We are there watching so of course we are going to associate it with a window being open. My deer look at my blind all the time and go back to eating. Our trail cameras don't catch a deer every second so the deer probably do that same thing while we are not there. Its only when the wind is wrong or swirling do they start acting a little funny at my place..

I have black curtains on my windows too but that's more so I can use a red light in my blind getting ready or putting my stuff up.....I also use it to cut down on light entering my blind from my other viewing windows Instead of sliding the curtain all the way over, I slide them over just enough so I can see movement and not let in any more light than I need. The curtains were never about whether a deer can tell if its open or not.
                        Last edited by Smart; 10-02-2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I agree with not painting the windows like stated above if you want to be able to see out of them. That kinda defeats the purpose. I actually placed smoke tinted plexi glass/lexan in the middle of boards I use to close my windows on my homemade stuff, so I could see out of them when closed on super cold days or days I am struggling with keeping my scent contained well due to the wind direction.

If you are OCD like me lol, I do try to camo the outside of my blind to include the windows. I don't have a picture of my blind with the deerview windows handy but I do have one of my homemade windows version. It kinda camos the window's shape into not looking like a couple of rectangles although I think we give deer too much credit in that arena too. It does make me feel more confident, so I go with it. And as stated above all my blinds face east..

Name:	00Seismic blind updated1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	24555351

Name:	AA Seismic2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	24555352
                          Last edited by Smart; 10-02-2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                            All of my blinds face East..the only time I have ever had an issue is if I try to open a window once deer are in front. I believe they see the reflection change as the window opens.

So now I just get in and open all windows or just the one I want to shoot out of before any deer show up.
                            Same for me however my blind faces southeast. No issues open or closed. I sit all the way in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                              I spray a light layer of flat black on my widows, it knows the glare off but you can still see through them, kind of like looking through the mesh in a pop up.

Comment

Krivoman Hunters

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                                Any pointers for applying the egg crate foam? Where did you buy it?

Thanks.

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                                X2

This is what I used to secure the egg crate to the walls. It takes 4 strips, total, to secure it top and bottom. Then maybe another strip or two to get the edges.

Comment

Working...
                                X