No announcement yet.

Gps unit recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone wants to buy an onX sd card for your garmin unit my uncle is selling his cheap.pm me

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      This was gonna be my setup.. But I think I am going to get the Inreach with the screen since its only a few Oz more..
      This is a good idea. I bought the Inreach explorer and used it up in the mountains this year along with my phone and onX... IMHO if you are going to spend the money might as well have the ability to navigate on the device specially if you are going off the beaten trail.

The phone is great to see the actuall satellite pics of an area but can burn through the battery if being used to navigate even on airplane mode. The valuable part as has been mentioned is that you can down load maps for use when there is no phone service. Additionally, you can scout on your computer and mark your locations using a bigger screen.

Since I was going back to camp every night I could charge the phone back up at night but I would use the Inreach to nevigate for the most part. You can set it to mark a trail and it tracks you to include sending your track for other to see if you choose. Battery use was minimal and you could text/email a message out from just about anywhere.

If you decide to go with Inreach I suggest buying it a few weeks early to get used to it. It's fairly simple to use, but very different than using a phone with an app on it. It's good to have some time to play with it.
      Last edited by Pedernal; 10-04-2018, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
        So the ONX Maps app will save maps to your phone, so if you don't have cell signal, you still have a GPS for making waypoints and finding your way around?

Correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          OnX maps on your phone, and use a Garmin Inreach Mini for a sat phone.
          This is my setup, just used it for 7 days in Colorado, I carried a 20,000 mAh battery pack and was able to make it through conserving battery. There are multiple discount codes out there for Onx right now to get 20% off an annual subscription...can't beat having the landowner information on the map.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by matt21418 View Post
            This is my setup, just used it for 7 days in Colorado, I carried a 20,000 mAh battery pack and was able to make it through conserving battery. There are multiple discount codes out there for Onx right now to get 20% off an annual subscription...can't beat having the landowner information on the map.

Matt
            Exact set up in used in Colorado this week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X