Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the best way to get an affordable “Spead Goat” hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are all good to eat, taking care of the meat is the important part.
    If you run one all over the countryside then shoot it you'll be sorely disappointed.
    If you draw a tag in Wyoming you will get an antelope.
    Buy a PP this year and in next few years for better access. If you are willing to pay for access then some difficult access areas will work for you, they are mostly private land areas. You will have to make calls in those areas or go outfitted.
    Outfitted is not needed though. We have more antelope than people up here.

9 PP is a lot. You'll pull a great tag with those!
    It is possible to draw a tag in the random part of the draw but odds are long. PP will get you an almost guaranteed tag if you play the odds right.

Every spring G&F puts out the population numbers for every species based on winter counts. Don't apply until after those come out, winter kill can always be an issue up here on any given year.

Comment

Put in for Wyoming. Probably take a Couple years to draw a tag in an area with a good amount of public land. Look at central part of state. Can DIY for pretty cheap depending on if your camping or moteling it. No way would I ever pay a guide/outfitter thousands $$$. It’s not that difficult.

Comment

I got drawn in New Mexico - bow hunt - two years in a row. A New Mexico buddy and I put in together, which increased our odds since one is Resident and I was Non-resident.

Hunted Socorro County - near Magdalena. First year, we both scored over water tanks. Second year I scored over water tanks. 71 and 55 yard shots - mounted them both, made tamales out of the meat and my Antelope hunting quest was complete.

Stayed in a little hole in the wall motel in Socorro New Mexico, which was maybe 40 bucks per night? We split the cost, with a week booked to cover. Ate out at local restaurants - excellent New Mexican food with an Indian influence.

Drove there from Kerrville and drove home.

Cheap, quality and successful.

We stalked for several days and managed to get shots without scoring before moving into plan B, hunting water holes.

Public land. We scouted antelope two days before the bow opener. Solid spotting scope comes in handy. Finding an area with quality antelope isn't hard to do there, most particularly if you have a water source.

Glass these areas - within 5 miles in a circumference. Antelope bed down on the open prairie and you only see their prongs above the grass, usually around mid-day. On water holes, they typically show up after 8 am or so. But you have to get setup before sunrise so you aren't spotted moving into your hide. If you are fortunate enough to find some broken ground, ravines and low areas that border open prairie with antelope, you can stalk in pretty tight.

Antelope - pre hunting pressure, the first two days of the opener, you can stalk up to 100 yards with them eyeballing you. They will let you close to roughly that distance before they move away on their term. Some jog, others walk and some run. It just depends on the animal.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Can you get an OTC permit in Wyoming?

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
            I got drawn in New Mexico - bow hunt - two years in a row. A New Mexico buddy and I put in together, which increased our odds since one is Resident and I was Non-resident.

Hunted Socorro County - near Magdalena. First year, we both scored over water tanks. Second year I scored over water tanks. 71 and 55 yard shots - mounted them both, made tamales out of the meat and my Antelope hunting quest was complete.

Stayed in a little hole in the wall motel in Socorro New Mexico, which was maybe 40 bucks per night? We split the cost, with a week booked to cover. Ate out at local restaurants - excellent New Mexican food with an Indian influence.

Drove there from Kerrville and drove home.

Cheap, quality and successful.

We stalked for several days and managed to get shots without scoring before moving into plan B, hunting water holes.

Public land. We scouted antelope two days before the bow opener. Solid spotting scope comes in handy. Finding an area with quality antelope isn't hard to do there, most particularly if you have a water source.

Glass these areas - within 5 miles in a circumference. Antelope bed down on the open prairie and you only see their prongs above the grass, usually around mid-day. On water holes, they typically show up after 8 am or so. But you have to get setup before sunrise so you aren't spotted moving into your hide. If you are fortunate enough to find some broken ground, ravines and low areas that border open prairie with antelope, you can stalk in pretty tight.

Antelope - pre hunting pressure, the first two days of the opener, you can stalk up to 100 yards with them eyeballing you. They will let you close to roughly that distance before they move away on their term. Some jog, others walk and some run. It just depends on the animal.

Are you and would you go back? What year did you hunt? Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
            X