Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What happened to this deers rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like the whole crown of his head is the base of his antlers.

Comment

Interesting for sure.

Comment

Bad genetics.

Comment

He is squeezing it in a vice at night so he never gets wider than antler restrictions....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Usually some sort of rear leg injury dictates how the antlers grow. Hit by vehicle ect.
            If he has no visible injury( walking funny), perhaps it is just his genetics. Now if you start seeing more bucks like that. He is breeding. With you in a AR area. It makes a sticky subject.

Comment

I get the AR restrictions, and they do work. But i’d like to see them put some sort of waiver in place that you can get beforehand from TPWD if you can prove it’s a mature deer. Maybe pictures from multiple years or something.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                He read the antler restrictions and evolved accordingly
                Hahaha. Now that’s good

Comment

Sss

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    He read the antler restrictions and evolved accordingly
                    There is something to that...you know he is going to be passing on those genes.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                      SBs
                      FIFY... (Shoot, Butcher, Shut-up)...

Comment

that's a shame, he'd make a unique wall hanger

Comment

We have one similar on our lease. We are going to show our pics to the GW and see if he will allow us to cull this year.

Comment

I had one like that at the Farm for a couple years. I think the rancher behind us took him out. His 2 year set was much shorter tines than his 3 year.

I described his rack as looking like a top hat.

He was perfectly healthy, last I saw of him he would have been 3-½

Apparently he did not breed, I’ve not seen another like that

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                              We have one similar on our lease. We are going to show our pics to the GW and see if he will allow us to cull this year.
                              GW can’t give you a pass to break the law. They can show leniency after the fact, but can’t just tell you up front that it’s ok. And 1 deer isn’t going to influence genetics of an entire herd. You would also need to shoot his mother, grandma, sisters, dad, grandpa, and all others that might have this genetic. Impossible to know.
                              That being said, TPWD offers a “Harvest Option” in the MLDP program that will give you buck and/or doe tags for your property without any requirements other than reporting harvest at the end of the season. It’s based on acreage and habitat types. Once tags are issued, you can only shoot deer based on the number of MLDP tags you have for the property. No license tags used. But there are no antler restrictions. It might work for you.

Comment

Poor genetics selected for and perpetuated by antler restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X