No announcement yet.

if Deer love acorns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acorns where I hunt would be something they have never seen or tasted.

Comment

I tried it. They soured after I got them to the lease. Too much work. It is much easier to open a bag of corn. Been using a combo of parched soy beans and corn. Make sure the beans are parched otherwise they get infested with little beetles and turn to half powder. If you could gather the acorns today and spread them tomorrow, yes they work great. But they just don’t last very long. Kinda like buying real ripe bananas, they are good for a few days but that’s all. Storing them and putting in a feeder didn’t work for me.

Comment

I gathered 2 five gallon buckets last Fall and stuck them in the freezer until mid December. Was rifle hunting a logging road with a long view and scattered them along one side of the road over about 100 yards. Scattered corn on the other side of the road. The deer nibbled at the corn a bit but cleaned up almost every acorn within 24 hours...then they took 3 more days to eat all the corn.

If you don't have a easy way to collect them it's probably not worth the effort, but if they are easy to collect it can be worthwhile. White oak acorns are the best!!

Comment

Not sure what it is, but I've seen deer walk by piles of acorns on the ground to go eat the acorns under a specific tree (all post oak). Maybe each tree puts off a different flavor based on age of the tree or something?? Find the tree that they prefer and hunt it.

Comment

Let's try to circle back on this topic post-season for results. I'm going to use a trail camera to see if I can catch any increase in activity when I have the acorns out. Heck, maybe I'll put out a pile of corn and a pile of acorns and see which one they goes to first.

Comment

Or, you can go a step further and use chestnuts. They are much more expensive, but at least one study that I know of showed deer prefer chestnuts 100:1 over acorns. I believe that was done by the whitetail research institute.
              There are no bitter tannins in chestnuts, and they are even higher in carbohydrates than whit oak acorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pecans work great. Put some on the trails coming in. You can hear them crunching from a mile away.

Comment

Here ya'll go.. $150 for 50#

Comment

Working...
                  X