Buck Forage Oats...Success? Maybe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
    Ok went to the ranch in Navarro today, FND donated a bag of Buck forage oats to the cause so I went out, shredded, plowed and planted a new small area near where I already have a plot.

Here is a pic of one of plots I planted couple weeks ago. Really coming up good. As someone said a little turnip seed goes a long way. They are thick.

Now I know what Dr deer said about turnips being “toxic” but I just can’t buy it. I did do a taste test myself. I chewed on an oat leaf and a turnip leaf. Hands down I would choose the oats, the oats has a sweet taste that even I enjoyed. The turnips were a little prickly and had a bit of a bitter taste. I think someone else mentioned that turnips are a food source later in the yr.
    if I were a deer I’d take oats all day long. Heck and those were just seed oats, I’m interested to see what the difference is with the buck forage oats.

I’m set up so hope I get a good stand.
    It started raining right as I left.
    Nice plot.. Have you ever ate, bit into or chewed on a acorn?? Very bitter.. Deer love them.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      Nice plot.. Have you ever ate, bit into or chewed on a acorn?? Very bitter.. Deer love them.

I was told on Tbh fertilizer makes them super sweet [emoji15][emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        Very true, I was kinda joking on the taste test tho
        Last edited by KactusKiller; 09-21-2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I've eaten turnips out of my they tasted like turnips.

Comment

Turnips taste good after we get a frost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oats, turnips and acorns taste better once they have been recycled into deer meat IMHO

For all that have posted pics your plots look awesome!! FND we need more pics!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                Lol. Good luck with that.

My little plot looking good.

Man, you got a nice yard started there. But you need to mow it to keep it looking nice. And that deer ain't gonna be enough. Your gonna need a goat as big as that yard is.

Comment

Lol Mikey. I forgot to ask Dr. Trailcamera if his oats are flood resistant.

Comment

Jeff that plot is looking real good and the 8 pt isn't bad either!

Comment

Trail Cams: I also remember when I first joined this sight, everybody made they're own trail cams because there were none commercially available. We even had a sight sponsor that provided parts. And some members spent their time building them to sell to other members. You had to provide a regular 35mm camera to build one. Sony D-80 was pretty popular back then, for building them.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        Trail Cams: I also remember when I first joined this sight, everybody made they're own trail cams because there were none commercially available. We even had a sight sponsor that provided parts. And some members spent their time building them to sell to other members. You had to provide a regular 35mm camera to build one. Sony D-80 was pretty popular back then, for building them.
                        He mentions in his seminars that they built them like we used to. Then says, “does anyone use trail cameras...? Well, you’re welcome!!” Lmao

Comment

Looking good Jeff! I probably will switch to what you are doing next year. I'm getting ready to plant seven different plots for about five acres total. I bought regular seed oats 600lbs. Soil tested and fertilized. I'm going to use a grain drill this year and put them in heavy. Just curious I'm going to move the livestock away from the oats. If they start getting to tall, is it best to turn in the livestock to graze for a bit or shred them? We move the livestock out of the hunting areas around the middle of September each year and return them in at the end of January or later. I'm probably over thinking this, but its nice not having to deal with livestock when your hunting. I'm just wondering what you or other folks have had the best results with when the oats get to tall. Hopefully the deer keep it knocked down.

Comment

Originally posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
                            Looking good Jeff! I probably will switch to what you are doing next year. I'm getting ready to plant seven different plots for about five acres total. I bought regular seed oats 600lbs. Soil tested and fertilized. I'm going to use a grain drill this year and put them in heavy. Just curious I'm going to move the livestock away from the oats. If they start getting to tall, is it best to turn in the livestock to graze for a bit or shred them? We move the livestock out of the hunting areas around the middle of September each year and return them in at the end of January or later. I'm probably over thinking this, but its nice not having to deal with livestock when your hunting. I'm just wondering what you or other folks have had the best results with when the oats get to tall. Hopefully the deer keep it knocked down.
                            Someone with more experience will have to answer this one. I have no idea. Good question.

Comment

Originally posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
                              Once those oats are up and established dress them with amonium nitrate and urea. With an average + deer herd you won't have to worry about the height of the oats. We had a biologist recommend this to us about 7 years ago and it made a huge difference. Said it makes the taste better for their pallet and increases protein.

Comment

Tagged. We planted a bunch this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X