No announcement yet.

2018 Houston Texans Season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we're talking about the same play....I'd say "open" is being generous, and it's not a high percentage play anyway, once you empty the backfield and they drop the 8th guy into coverage.

I'm not pinning his whole job at Houston on that one play, I just don't think he's that great. But I hope he stays.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      If we're talking about the same play....I'd say "open" is being generous, and it's not a high percentage play anyway, once you empty the backfield and they drop the 8th guy into coverage.

I'm not pinning his whole job at Houston on that one play, I just don't think he's that great. But I hope he stays.

Watson usually and has many times this year made that throw for a TD to Hop. The throw was early and low, hence the poor execution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
        Watson usually and has many times this year made that throw for a TD to Hop. The throw was early and low, hence the poor execution

Cause/Effect Too many people allowed to stand in the middle of the end zone..had to rush it.

Comment

Just dropped in to see the Cowboys fans comments on this Texans thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Just dropped in to see the Cowboys fans comments on this Texans thread.
            We know more about mediocre football than anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Is RTP still boycotting the NFL? Asking for a friend?..

Boycott in public, watch in private
              Still boycotting.....if that means not watching. I do like to keep up with the local teams via sports talk radio while driving around. What else ya got big boy? Texans suck and the Cowboys suck. Neither is a dominate power in their conference. Texans never have been and its been decades since the Cowboys were. I guess making the playoffs will satisfy a large segment of the fanbases so their mediocre coaches/staff stay in place.........again.

Comment

Good post tshelly and I agree with some of that. I'm not invested in the Texans but my son is a huge fan so I follow them. I was an absolute freak Oiler fan all through the 80's until the day they left town which crushed me. When the Texans franchise came to town I never got into them and fully invested my heart into one football team instead of 2.

I hardly care if O'Brien comes or goes but I definitely would like my son and you die hard Texans fans to experience a deep run into the playoffs and possible trip to the Superbowl. 18 years as a franchise and still not knocking on the door. IMO, if OB remains head coach then the dark cloud over Houston NFL football will continue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  Still boycotting.....if that means not watching. I do like to keep up with the local teams via sports talk radio while driving around. What else ya got big boy? Texans suck and the Cowboys suck. Neither is a dominate power in their conference. Texans never have been and its been decades since the Cowboys were. I guess making the playoffs will satisfy a large segment of the fanbases so their mediocre coaches/staff stay in place.........again.

Good good.... glad to see you are still boycotting and disengaged from that devil NFL[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Tshelly makes some good points for the eternal optimist fan. I am an eternal fan as well but we must be watching the games from different seats.

Saying our losses all were against teams with winning records is essentially saying we can't beat good teams. To me that isn't a positive trait.

OB is the most predictable play caller on offense. This hasn't changed in the years he has been here. It never will. He has had plenty of time to try and he won't. If you want to stay sober during the games chug a beer when we pass on first downs.

If you want to black out before halftime chug a beer when we run, run, swing pass, punt.

If we learned anything from Kubiak's time here field goals rarely win games. OB has the same "gotta take the points when you can get them" mantra. It's not working but he has the same approach. He has no guts to take risks inside the 20. This will never change.

I read somewhere Andy Reed in KC when getting Mahones immediately integrated plays from Mahomes college playbook to utilize what he was already comfortable running. Reed has been coaching alot longer than OB but was smart enough to deviate from his own plays to what might work out best for the team. Seems to be working pretty well.

I guess it never occurred to OB to try the same. It's not like it was a secret or anything. Watson is a great QB. He is fun to watch and is a baller. Hopefully OB one day will give him the reins and maybe things might change for the better for all of us.

OB has proven he will never attempt to choke out another team when we get a lead. He slows the game plan down and stares at the clock watching time tick off. It hasn't worked and wont.

Hopefully something will change. I just don't see it happening with OB as the HC. He has proven over the years he is going to do things his way and since it isn't working what makes you think it will later.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                      Tshelly makes some good points for the eternal optimist fan. I am an eternal fan as well but we must be watching the games from different seats.

Saying our losses all were against teams with winning records is essentially saying we can't beat good teams. To me that isn't a positive trait.

OB is the most predictable play caller on offense. This hasn't changed in the years he has been here. It never will. He has had plenty of time to try and he won't. If you want to stay sober during the games chug a beer when we pass on first downs.

If you want to black out before halftime chug a beer when we run, run, swing pass, punt.

If we learned anything from Kubiak's time here field goals rarely win games. OB has the same "gotta take the points when you can get them" mantra. It's not working but he has the same approach. He has no guts to take risks inside the 20. This will never change.

I read somewhere Andy Reed in KC when getting Mahones immediately integrated plays from Mahomes college playbook to utilize what he was already comfortable running. Reed has been coaching alot longer than OB but was smart enough to deviate from his own plays to what might work out best for the team. Seems to be working pretty well.

I guess it never occurred to OB to try the same. It's not like it was a secret or anything. Watson is a great QB. He is fun to watch and is a baller. Hopefully OB one day will give him the reins and maybe things might change for the better for all of us.

OB has proven he will never attempt to choke out another team when we get a lead. He slows the game plan down and stares at the clock watching time tick off. It hasn't worked and wont.

Hopefully something will change. I just don't see it happening with OB as the HC. He has proven over the years he is going to do things his way and since it isn't working what makes you think it will later.

I think you spent a lot of time chugging beers and skipped some of the game

Colts game:

O’Brien threw the ball on first down 19 of 27 times... and a few were sacks and scrambles that were actually passes too that I counted as runs.

Twice he went for it on 4th down and did not take the field goal. Hindsight 2 field goals and the score late would have made it a one possession game.

OB didn’t integrate any of Watson’s college tape??? I’m sorry but there were no jet sweeps, reverse jet sweet options, zone reads or designed qb runs with Fitzgerald, Hoyer, Mallet, or Osweiller. O’Brien has completely changed his offensive scheme and developed it around Watson. If you don’t see that you need to study more of the x’s and o’s

O’Brien is 31-1 in the second half with a lead. I’m pretty sure closing people out when he has the lead is not one of his weaknesses. Now it may be maddening to some people to get the lead then grind on people with the run and clock in the second half but it works. The colts just did that to us in this playoff game. *Now if you had said OB offense are not built to come back from deficits I would agree with you. It’s not his style of football. If you actually watch the patriots they follow this same game plan. While sometimes they do blow people out they generally play lots of close games where they get out to a lead then run the clock out the rest of the game.

Blaming everything on OB is just a weak take imo. When you look at everything across the board it’s not the problem. People that keep talking about his first 3 yrs of mediocrity without a franchise QB and a different GM is not really data points that I use to evaluate his performance. It’s been pretty impressive watching the Texans with Watson at QB as whole. I look forward to another year or two with him and an OB led team.

Comment

I think you spent a lot of time chugging beers and skipped some of the game

Colts game:

O’Brien threw the ball on first down 19 of 27 times... and a few were sacks and scrambles that were actually passes too that I counted as runs.

Twice he went for it on 4th down and did not take the field goal. Hindsight 2 field goals and the score late would have made it a one possession game.

OB didn’t integrate any of Watson’s college tape??? I’m sorry but there were no jet sweeps, reverse jet sweet options, zone reads or designed qb runs with Fitzgerald, Hoyer, Mallet, or Osweiller. O’Brien has completely changed his offensive scheme and developed it around Watson. If you don’t see that you need to study more of the x’s and o’s

O’Brien is 31-1 in the second half with a lead. I’m pretty sure closing people out when he has the lead is not one of his weaknesses. Now it may be maddening to some people to get the lead then grind on people with the run and clock in the second half but it works. The colts just did that to us in this playoff game. *Now if you had said OB offense are not built to come back from deficits I would agree with you. It’s not his style of football. If you actually watch the patriots they follow this same game plan. While sometimes they do blow people out they generally play lots of close games where they get out to a lead then run the clock out the rest of the game.

Blaming everything on OB is just a weak take imo. When you look at everything across the board it’s not the problem. People that keep talking about his first 3 yrs of mediocrity without a franchise QB and a different GM is not really data points that I use to evaluate his performance. It’s been pretty impressive watching the Texans with Watson at QB as whole. I look forward to another year or two with him and an OB led team.

I can tell you listen to Sean on 790 in the afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                          Dallas needs a new owner.

Patience...

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                            I can tell you listen to Sean on 790 in the afternoon

Man I actually listen to all the burn OB to the ground stuff on 610 lol.

I’m just a Texan fan. IF I thought we were moving on from OB I’d get on board but it’s just not happening with Gaine on year 2 so im trying to find the positives moving forward. I think we got OB at least two more yrs regardless.

For all the optimistic guys that want OB gone

Comment

Man I actually listen to all the burn OB to the ground stuff on 610 lol.

I’m just a Texan fan. IF I thought we were moving on from OB I’d get on board but it’s just not happening with Gaine on year 2 so im trying to find the positives moving forward. I think we got OB at least two more yrs regardless.

For all the optimistic guys that want OB gone

McNair is not here to protect him any longer...his leash has never been shorter.....

Can you name 1 thing that OB does that makes you say " ****, he is a good NFL coach"...just 1

For me- his negatives far outweigh any positives

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                                McNair is not here to protect him any longer...his leash has never been shorter.....

Can you name 1 thing that OB does that makes you say " ****, he is a good NFL coach"...just 1

For me- his negatives far outweigh any positives

Yup could be different with Cal at the helm.

The team never quits on him. From top to bottom they players always play hard for him. We are hardly ever blown out and in every game. You would hear more disgruntled players speaking out if he was a bad coach. That list is now (Brandon brooks who was not resigned after his anxiety problems that caused him to miss games. *this was a big miss letting him go... and DJ Swearinger who was recently dropped by his second nfl team)

4 out of 5 winning seasons in the NFL. Regardless of the weak division or whatever ppls argument is it’s still the NFL, you play other teams out of your division. You can’t tell me it’s easy to win, if that were the case hue Jackson would have “lucked” into more wins in Cleveland.

He is a good offensive mind as well. Play calling can be suspect but he is a very smart offensive coach.

Last edited by Tshelly; 01-08-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X