Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They’re dudes.... at least originally

Comment

She made 3 rule mistakes during the athletic competition. One after another, after another, and then the horrific 3rd one. The first can be debated, but only so far. She chose the paths that resulted in the next 2 penalties.

There isn't a male in this match. She created the issue as a bail out. Very similar to statements her father made regularly several years ago. Any other player not in the final or named "Serena" would have been ejected.

Either way, she was not on her game that day and her opponent was spot on. Congrats to her.

Comment

Bad day on the court but as noted below it wont change her world. GOAT's can get frustrated as they don't get there by accepting being a loser. Sad to read some of the vile comments.

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
        The $17,000 fine comes out of her $1.85 million second place winnings. Not a bad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
          Bad day on the court but as noted below it wont change her world. GOAT's can get frustrated as they don't get there by accepting being a loser. Sad to read some of the vile comments.
          Agreed. Poor form

Comment

what's obvious and so blatanly unfair is how women tennis players are paid so much more than men's racquetball. How is that Justified when the blue ball goes so much faster?

Comment

Poor sportsmanship is unbecoming to any athlete much less one of the caliber and notoriety of Serena.
              That said there are quite a few unbecoming racist comments on this thread.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Clearly Serena was a drama queen and you could argue she deserved all 3 penalties and she certainly brought them on herself. However, it is true that there is a double standard. I've seen men's players do far worse without even a warning - coaching or abusing an umpire. Several male pro's have since publicly confirmed they've done worse without repercussions.

The court umpire blew it, especially on the 1 game penalty. Serena was well on her way to losing after two double faults and not holding serve. All he did was take away from Osaka's first grand slam win. She didn't need it and you could tell how upset she was during award ceremony.

Comment

The more I hear the media and sexism blame on this, the more disgusting it gets.

Undebatable facts...

1. Serena and her coach were given a WARNING for coaching during the match. She shouted at Ramos that she never got coaching. (she's a liar) Her COACH ADMITTED HE WAS COACHING HER during the match. His moving thumbs "signs" were instructing her to the ready position locations during service.

2. 2nd Conduct Violation: That's when Serena started to really breakdown and lost her composure. She smashed her racket on the court during play after losing numerous points and making errors. This is not a gray area. The penalty for this has been as much as a forfeiture of the match for many players, but this is the finals of the US Open. We get it. She lost a point for her violation.

3. 3rd Conduct Violation: Serena chose to approach and berate the judge, demanded an apology, threatened him that he would never work her matches again, called him a thief & a liar. After this is when she started her rants of declared sexism. Through all of this, the judge did let her have her stage. But then she continued her behavior and demands, all the while delaying the match. It was then that she rec'd the penalty, which is loss of a game.

Ramos has penalized the best of the players on the men's tour for the same infractions as well as warned Serena's sister (Venus) for receiving coaching during one of her matches

Our media is a disgrace to continue writing the story that this was sexism.
                  Last edited by tigerscowboy; 09-10-2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    Poor sportsmanship is unbecoming to any athlete much less one of the caliber and notoriety of Serena.
                    That said there are quite a few unbecoming racist comments on this thread.

Please quote the racist posts. I must have missed them.

Comment

If you're going to wear a tutu as a grown woman you better win. Smashing a racket in that outfit isn't a good look.

Comment

Another thing about this whole controversy, this referee can only be held accountable for how he treats players that play in matches that he referees.

It seems from all accounts that he is a stickler for the rules with both men and women and is described as one of the few refs who is not afraid to call violations against elite players.

She was 100% in the wrong as THIS ref has been absolutely even handed throughout his 27 year career.

Comment

Couldn't happen, to a ……….never mind...…..
                          Congrats to the young lady who won....
                          She is the victim in this garbage.....
                          I felt so sorry for her... And ashamed of the fans, who boo'd her...

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            Please quote the racist posts. I must have missed them.
                            That's why the cycle perpetuates.

Comment

Is 2009 that long ago..."I'm going to shove this [expletive] ball down your [expletive] throat." Poor form then more so now and still held in such high regard by many ready to jump on the sexist aspects of it. As a parent, I also cringed that she tried to use the mother card to justify that she wouldn't cheat then smashers her racket and resorts to name calling. Lost me as a fan nearly a decade ago.

Osaka dreamed about the moment and idolized Serena. Hopefully she continues to win and displays better on court behavior, respect for your opponents, and encourages youth of both sexes. She learned a valuable lesson from her idol...how not to lose.
                              Last edited by bruschu; 09-10-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                                Couldn't happen, to a ……….never mind...…..
                                Congrats to the young lady who won....
                                She is the victim in this garbage.....
                                I felt so sorry for her... And ashamed of the fans, who boo'd her...
                                Same here. She underlined being the champion because of the way she handled a very difficult and unforeseen situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X