No announcement yet.

Doves! Opening Day success thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throckmorton area was very slowly. Birds averaged 10-15 minutes. That was spotted birds not shot opportunity. Took a long time to settle down and start shooting well. Managed 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      So how’d that work out?

Curious are you on a lease in Cypress somewhere, or is it property that belongs to someone you know?
      Unfortunately there wasn't enough doves to get a lot of shooting.

It's some land a buddy owns. 3rd generation family stuff. We used to slaughter them there and another spot where Tomball memorial high school sits now. Westbourne neighborhood used to be a huge roost and held some decent bucks.

Some are still lurking around not far off 249...[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

25 this am between 3 of us near Richland Springs.

Comment

Easy limits yesterday morning. Gave them a rest this morning.

Comment

This morning was great in San Antonio!

Comment

Probably so. We forced it anyway and it was worth it. Beautiful morning. 6 shots 1 bird. Was slow. Clay county QUOTE=Etxbuckman;13592530]Ha-ha! Aren’t most dove hunters too hung over to hunt on day 2?[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I ended up 8 for 11 yesterday. I'm working today so them pesky birds are safe for the time being. Have a great time today folks and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishxbones View Post
                  This morning was great in San Antonio!
                  I came down to San Antonio to get into some white wings and all I got from the outfitter yesterday was a crowded field and not a lot of birds. My son got very few opportunities and only got 3. Not looking forward to this afternoon's hunt at the same place.

Comment

Way slower than normal in Throckmorton but I managed a limit. 10 hunters and I think we knocked down 110 birds. Worked all day so far not expecting great things this evening but we’ll try once more
                    Attached Files

Comment

Got a good report so we made the 2 hour drive just to find that pop- up shower is parked over our dove field pouring rain. Hope it didn’t run them all off
                      Last edited by jerp; 09-02-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        Got a good report so we made the 2 hour drive just to find that pop- up shower is parked over our dove field pouring rain. Hope it didn’t run them all off
                        Get ready to shoot as soon as that shower blows over. I've had some excellent hunts after a summer rain.

Comment

Openening morning I managed a limit in Crowell at my deer lease but it was kinda slow.. this morning I hunted my wife's family place in Paducah and had two shots by 7:45 then between 8:00 and 11:00 they were everywhere.. got a limit by 8:45, hung out watching until 11 and it was non stop birds.. going to try my dove lease by the house here in wise county tomorrow..

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                            I came down to San Antonio to get into some white wings and all I got from the outfitter yesterday was a crowded field and not a lot of birds. My son got very few opportunities and only got 3. Not looking forward to this afternoon's hunt at the same place.
                            Yep, Round 2 nutkick with Double H Outfitters is underway. Got checked in and placed along a mesquite thicket with a sunflower field in front of us. Sat 30 minutes and then I hear the guide putting hunters on the other side of the mesquite. This mesquite tree line is no more than 30 yards wide and once again we would be blocked from any birds coming in from that way and the few that we had seen, that's the way they were coming.
                            I went up to the checkin point and told them either refund money or put us somewhere that we would actually get some shooting in.
                            Another guide sets us up in another spot and just went on about how good the guys did here yesterday and said "If you don't get your limits here, it's not because the birds aren't here. It would be your shooting." I told him that is fine. If I go through 3 boxes of shells and no limit is still a good time.
                            So here we are set up in the "hot spot" for 1 1/2 hours and I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
                            The picture is how they have them set up on the other side of the drainage ditch. That's exactly how it is on this side of it, surrounded by sunflower fields with hunters all around those.

Comment

Ready for Tigers Game!

Comment

May push birds to us, may send me to the truck

Comment

Working...
                                X