Out of District Enrollment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of District Enrollment?

Here's my dilemna... We live half way between Livingston and Goodrich but are zoned to Goodrich ISD. When we first moved here last fall we enrolled them in Goodrich which is a very small 1A school. With my current work schedule as well as my wife's it puts us not getting home until 6:30pm or so most evenings. My Folks live in Livingston just 3 miles from Livingston Jr High where my youngest would attend. If my parents keep the kids 5 days a week after school from 3pm-6:30pm, could we enroll them in Livingston ISD? I was told that a lot of schools have a "Grandparent" clause that allows out of district enrollment if the Grandparents provide after school care. We could drop them off in the mornings at school but it would help us so much if they could ride the bus to my parents house in the afternoons... not to mention the fact that Livingston is a way better school. Has anyone ever done this or heard of this?

i doubt it, not sure about the grandparent rule, but if you live outside most districts its up to them whether or not they take "transfers" . Call the school and they should be able to tell you

Comment

maybe the school would be better able to answer that??

Comment

"Grandparent rule" is legit and yes you can use it to enroll your kids in LISD. It is a TEA law/rule, so their local regs cant keep you from applying it.

Comment

LISD should have a local policy in which they determine what "substantial after school care" is, but from what you have posted you should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
            "Grandparent rule" is legit and yes you can use it to enroll your kids in LISD. It is a TEA law/rule, so their local regs cant keep you from applying it.
            Originally posted by texan16 View Post
            https://tea.texas.gov/About_TEA/News...-_August_2017/

Go about half way down the page and is states the "Grandparent Clause"
            Thanks. So if I read this right then they can't deny my kid's enrollment if they truly have in-district grandparents who care for them every evening? I'm curious if any TBHers have actually done this anywhere?

Comment

Yep, grand parents clause, my wife’s a teacher, her school usually has 2-3 grand parent clause kids a year. She has one in her class this year, parents live out of district but the grands live in the district.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                Yep, grand parents clause, my wife’s a teacher, her school usually has 2-3 grand parent clause kids a year. She has one in her class this year, parents live out of district but the grands live in the district.
                Awesome thanks.

Comment

would you still be subject to the transfer fee??

Comment

I have my son as a transfer student in another district. Cost me $1000 per year and had to wait until they saw how many in district students they had before they approved the transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                      I have my son as a transfer student in another district. Cost me $1000 per year and had to wait until they saw how many in district students they had before they approved the transfer.
                      Under the grandparent clause, the student is not considered a transfer student.

Comment

Are your kids not old enough to be home alone for a few hours after school Josh? I can’t remember how old they are.

I don’t blame you for wanting them in Livingston, instead of Goodrich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Are your kids not old enough to be home alone for a few hours after school Josh? I can’t remember how old they are.

I don’t blame you for wanting them in Livingston, instead of Goodrich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          The youngest two just turned 11 and 12 and a couple hours alone isn't a problem. It's more like 3-4 hrs most evenings. We really don't have anyone around us close they could call if something were to happen. I work 45 miles from the house and my wife works about 30 miles away. We would just fell better about them being with my folks... and like you said, Livingston is a much better school.

Comment

You have some very good parents to assist you! Hopefully it will work out for your family.

I am a grandparent also.

Comment

Working...
                            X