No announcement yet.

Do you trust your cars "Distance to Empty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The minute you trust it....Murphy’s Law kicks in.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
      You may want to tell that person to price a fuel pump replacement. Constantly running the vehicle when it gets to low fuel wears on the fuel pump.
      That's an old wives tale, imo....at least on Chevrolets. 90s Models ate fuel pumps regardless of how far we ran the fuel down. On the trucks newer than '01 or so I think we've replaced 1 out of 5 or 6 trucks.

Comment

Nope, nope,nope.... when that needle passes 1/4 tank , I filler up.
        Reason, l pulled off the side of the road. The fuel pump couldn’t pick up the fuel in the tank, because of the angle. I had plenty of gas.

Comment

I drove over 20 miles while the DTE reported 6 miles when I started during the fuel crisis last year. I got on a plane before the madness ensued figuring I'd fill up on the way home from the airport. I had no choice but to push it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tundras gas light comes on with a 5 gallon reserve, so yes I drive until 0.

Comment

My 2004 Silverado's fuel gauge sucked. I actually ran out two different times before my low fuel light ever came on.

I've got a 2014 Ram now, and when the low fuel warning comes on, it gives me about 50 miles to E. I'll have 5-6 gallons still in the tank at that point(so realistically 65-75 miles), so it's pretty reliable and consistent.

Comment

I trust mine but for those that like to push it all the time have obviously never been faced with a crisis situation and needing to get to the emergency room. Please take this advise.....If you have less than 50 miles to E get fuel. God forbid you have to rush a loved one to the emergency room and run out of fuel on the way!!!

Comment

When the light comes on I fill up.

Comment

When mine comes on I can make it almost exactly 15 miles. I know that because a few weeks ago it came on leaving my driveway,I got to work and shut it off. When I went to lunch it wouldn't start so I had to put gas in it. Mine isn't fancy enough to tell me how far I can go it just says I'm low on fuel.

Comment

My wife does but I don’t. My step dad told me multiple times it costs just as much to keep them full as it does to keep them empty. I try to keep mine full.

Comment

Your manual will tell you what you can expect. I prefer to stay above E personally, but I have had to push it once before. My truck will let me go 10-20 miles past "0 miles left to empty".

Comment

Don't trust it any further than I'm willing to walk! Not far.

Comment

I tend to (basically) trust how far my truck's computer tells me I can go. I seldom let it get below 20 or so miles to go.
                            We have experienced some 'divine intervention' with mileage a few years ago: We owned/operated a Christmas tree farm in East Texas. We would leave my inlaws' house after Thanksgiving dinner to head out. On a particularly cold Thanksgiving night, we were headed out and needed gas. The car said we had about 30 miles to go and there was a gas station within that mileage on our way. But when we got to the station, it was closed (over the years, we discovered that there seems to be more places closed on Thanksgiving day than on Christmas day!).
                            So the car now says we have about 10 miles to go and the next place to get gas is probably 25 miles away. It wasn't a starving, life-or-death situation, but we didn't want to run out of gas on the interstate in the cold. So, we threw up a few prayers.
                            It was so funny - as we got the highway, we watched our on-board computer go from '10 miles left to go' to '15 miles', '17 miles', etc. We made our destination and still laugh about that.

Comment

I once dated a girl who got fuel when the gauge hit 3/4. I asked her why. She explained that the gauge dropped slowly until it went below 3/4. Then it dropped really fast. So she got better milage by keeping her tank 3/4 or above.

She was really hot and had some amazing talents. But eventually I couldn't take it anymore.

Comment

In my old truck if the light came on, I was out of gas. Found that out the hard way. I haven’t tested my new truck enough to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X