Started my own business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started my own business

So I just started my own welding business aside from my day job and it is going well so far, already have a few jobs under my belt but I was wondering if anyone has any advice such as do's and donts or things to look out for. I don't personally know anyone that does this so it's hard to get any tips or tricks but any advice is greatly appriciated!!

no advice to give here.. but congratulations and good luck on your endeavors!!

Comment

If or when you make a mistake own up to it and fix it on your dime. There are lots of good companies out there but the ones that I am faithful to and spread the good word about are the ones that do the wright thing when something goes wrong. I don't care how good you are you will make mistakes, how you react to and handle those mistakes will set you apart from others.

Case in point....When we built the house we are in now we bought all of our plumbing fixtures from Morrison Supply in San Antonio. When the granite guy went to Morison to pick up the bathroom sinks they gave him the wrong ones. He cuts all the granite and installs everything, we go to the house and realize its the wrong sinks. We call Morrison and they do a quick check and right away admit they make the mistake and pay the granite guy to go tear out all the granite, pay for new granite, and pay the guy to install the new granite and new sinks. This was not cheap granite either I believe it is level 4. Morrison never gave us a hard time or complained once. I have sent more people to Morrison in the last 3 years than I can count and will drive all the way into San Antonio and pay the slightly higher prices at Morrison for everything in the future vs going to home depot or Lowes.
      Last edited by ColinR; 08-22-2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Shut it down......sell goats.

Comment

Congratulations. That's exciting. Make sure you know how to handle sales tax and taxes correctly. Best of luck.

Comment

Follow the golden rule.....congratulations on finding a niche!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Set up the business as a separate entity, get an accountant, and make sure you have the proper insurance in place. Those are to protect yourself. Other than that, customer service and community involvement are the best ways for small, local businesses to take off nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
                No!!! That's my job!

Comment

Thank you guys for all the great advice! As far as insurance goes since I'm just running under a DBA I went ahead and got 2mil in commercial liability insurance once I get some more steady business I want to form an LLC.

Comment

Do what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it, stand behind your work, do not extend credit and try not to work for friends and family.

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
                      That’s what I did, partially Lmao.

Comment

I learned in the service world if you answer your phone, be at your appointments when you say you will be, and do quality work you’re ahead of about 80% of the competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                          If or when you make a mistake own up to it and fix it on your dime. There are lots of good companies out there but the ones that I am faithful to and spread the good word about are the ones that do the wright thing when something goes wrong. I don't care how good you are you will make mistakes, how you react to and handle those mistakes will set you apart from others.

Case in point....When we built the house we are in now we bought all of our plumbing fixtures from Morrison Supply in San Antonio. When the granite guy went to Morison to pick up the bathroom sinks they gave him the wrong ones. He cuts all the granite and installs everything, we go to the house and realize its the wrong sinks. We call Morrison and they do a quick check and right away admit they make the mistake and pay the granite guy to go tear out all the granite, pay for new granite, and pay the guy to install the new granite and new sinks. This was not cheap granite either I believe it is level 4. Morrison never gave us a hard time or complained once. I have sent more people to Morrison in the last 3 years than I can count and will drive all the way into San Antonio and pay the slightly higher prices at Morrison for everything in the future vs going to home depot or Lowes.
                          Agree 100%, it amazes me that large companies almost never do business this way though.

Comment

Like others have said. Just do what you say you are going to do and make sure the scope of work is clear so there are few unmet expectations. Don't tell someone you can get there in two days to appease them when you know it wont be until next week. Any reasonable person that hires you can understand those things, they just want to receive what they were told.

Comment

Congrats and best of luck to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X