Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

food stamps for cows

has anyone checked into the drought program for cows

If you can’t afford to feed your livestock during a drought you should sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
      If you can’t afford to feed your livestock during a drought you should sell them.

End thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by barnett77859 View Post
        has anyone checked into the drought program for cows

Most only care about the poor slug in the check out line at the local grocer that has a lone star card to buy those cows. They care less about most other welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          Most only care about the poor slug in the check out line at the local grocer that has a lone star card to buy those cows. They care less about most other welfare.

Agreed

Comment

It would solve both problems.

Comment

You seen cattle prices? The man would be giving them away... calves are bringing more than cows and with most of us having cows calving in the fall/winter to sell spring/early summer, selling (giving away) cattle may not be an option. Saying you should sell cattle if you can’t afford to feed during a drought to a rancher is like saying you should sell your land if you can’t afford to irrigate during a drought to a farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                You seen cattle prices? The man would be giving them away... calves are bringing more than cows and with most of us having cows calving in the fall/winter to sell spring/early summer, selling (giving away) cattle may not be an option. Saying you should sell cattle if you can’t afford to feed during a drought to a rancher is like saying you should sell your land if you can’t afford to irrigate during a drought to a farmer.

Perfectly said!

Comment

Except most people are just recreational ranchers and don't count on those cattle as their main source of income

Comment

It's not the same, and no one guaranteed you a profit when you bought the cows and bred them.

Shoulda put some back for feed when beef was *** high to a giraffe not long ago...

Comment

Originally posted by chase15 View Post
                      Except most people are just recreational ranchers and don't count on those cattle as their main source of income

They may not be the main source of income for a lot of people but if done right can be a very good supplemental income. Not to mention keep property taxes affordable and not through the dang roof. Be dammed if I sell my cattle only to have my property taxes go up higher than what I gave all my cows away for.

Comment

A lot of compassion on TBH for those of us that raise cattle... SMH
                        I have to sell some more on Friday, not looking forward to the loss.

Comment

I'd like a little welfare to feed my chilren......have y'all seen the price of oil. I got an elk hunt to pay for. I can barely make the payment for my hunting lease and $60K 4x4 show truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            It's not the same, and no one guaranteed you a profit when you bought the cows and bred them.

Shoulda put some back for feed when beef was *** high to a giraffe not long ago...
                            That is easier said than done. Couple years on hay outside is questionable hay. Figure 4-6 round bales per cow, and you would need a BIG BIG haybarn to do what you are saying, but it is a good plan if you have the facilities to pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                              A lot of compassion on TBH for those of us that raise cattle... SMH
                              I have to sell some more on Friday, not looking forward to the loss.

Got two cows that need to go Bc they throw chitty calves, but as of now, they are staying. Even early bred, they are staying. I actually could run a couple more cows so I may be keeping my eye out for the right heifers or young cows. Then when prices get decent, boot the other two.

Comment

Working...
                              X