Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Outfitter will not return our deposit on a hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txhunter007 View Post
    Man......3k is an unlucky number on tbh lately.
    I didn't want to be the first to say it, but yes it crossed my mind as well. Not sure what recourse you have but I wish the OP best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      You should probably start that with the word "some"
      Some used car salesmen.
      Last edited by ultrastealth; 08-21-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
        Care to elaborate?
        Sure. We have been provided no evidence that the deposit was in fact advertised to be fully refundable.

Comment

This Outfitter must've learned to do business the way Cory Anderson does.

Comment

not understanding when $3000 was just something to blow off, as in losing it to someone(outfitter) who won't honor their own policy just because they can't control their own spending habits? Why wouldn't you fight for it back?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
              not understanding when $3000 was just something to blow off, as in losing it to someone(outfitter) who won't honor their own policy just because they can't control their own spending habits? Why wouldn't you fight for it back?
              Objection. Assumes facts not in evidence. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                I thought deposits were security for the outfitter if you have to back out. I've never seen outfitters refund deposits. Maybe this guy is different. But 60 days isn't a lot of time to find replacement hunters to pay full price for a guided hunt. It's plenty of time if the guide keeps the deposit and only has to find a group to pay 1/2 of the normal charge. Maybe his contract is different. Post the refund portion of his contract.

Your best bet is to reschedule for next year....if that bridge hasn't been burned
                Not sure why everyone is ready to burn the outfitter... I can only imagine how many "want" to go hunting, until its time to pay up... Ops case is different but still no evidence of what contract states....

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                I have looked at several pronghorn outfitters in WY and all said the deposit is non-refundable. That seems pretty normal.

Since pilar won't provide details this is speculation on my part. But it is possible this outfitter's 60 days policy is from the date the deposit was made, not 60 days before the hunt (such as many stores have a 30 day return policy). That is just a guess on my part of course, but I am not sure why else the outfitter is refusing to honor his own policy.
                probably spot on, 60 days from front end NOT hunt

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                Sure. We have been provided no evidence that the deposit was in fact advertised to be fully refundable.
                exactly.

Have you even considered rescheduling for the next year? You haven't answered that question either. Only thing we know is you sent $3k, may or may not have a contract, you cancelled and he's a bad guy.

Comment

Oh ya, and you state "we" sent in $3k... what portion of that is YOURS? If more parties are involved, what's their excuse for cancelling?

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    Some used car salesmen.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      Yep and if it’s not advertised or in an e-mail you can forget it.

Comment

interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                          Who's to say he blew the money? What if outfitter had expenses(pertaining to the hunting) to pay in advance and can't get the money back? It is hard to point the finger when we have not been given the chance to read the outfitters policy. I think he could be in the right to keep the deposit. I'm willing to bet most elk hunters have booked their outfitters by now and might be tough to find hunters to replace the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            I’m no bottom feeding, egg sucking lawyer , but I believe the jurisdiction would be in the county that the transaction took place...where you sent the money and where he deposited it and lives.
                            Careful....careful there....you may not be a lawyer but your belief is correct - If the OP decides to sue in JP Court, then venue should be good in the county and precinct of the defendant's residence (Iraan).

Here's the contact info for the JP there.

Now let's hope the JP is not the outfitter's Sunday school teacher.

Comment

Sounds like you lost your deposit if you can't sell the hunt yourself to someone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X