No announcement yet.

Outfitter will not return our deposit on a hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the OP is under subpoena he is required to appear. If he fails to appear he can be held in contempt and face jail time and a fine. It is the way the system works. One day all the nay sayers maybe a victim and need witnesses to testify. I am a retired LEO and have had to miss many opening days over 25 years because of court. As the court date gets closer there is a good chance of a plea deal and this will release you from subpoena.

Comment

Why not push your hunt a week or a month, or even the following year? The outfitter probably spent it, most likely on securing land for your hunt and the tags needed. Last year our outfitter did the same thing for an elk hunt. I have no way of knowing how much that costs for an antelope, but I am sure there is some left over.

Good luck OP. I hope your case settles and you can go hunt.

Comment

We need more updates and information. Something about this thread doesn't feel right.

Is it as simple as you gave him a 3k deposit and he's policy clearly states you can cancel and get a full refund if done so with 60 days notice?

If that's the case who is this outfitter?

Comment

I thought deposits were security for the outfitter if you have to back out. I've never seen outfitters refund deposits. Maybe this guy is different. But 60 days isn't a lot of time to find replacement hunters to pay full price for a guided hunt. It's plenty of time if the guide keeps the deposit and only has to find a group to pay 1/2 of the normal charge. Maybe his contract is different. Post the refund portion of his contract.

Your best bet is to reschedule for next year....if that bridge hasn't been burned

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
            Does he sale guns too? Asking for a friend
            The outfitter is in West Texas and guides in NM. As folks seemingly only "sale" guns in East Texas I would say the outfitter does not sale guns.

As mentioned throughout, the actual contract terms control. Post it up or send it to me via pm or email.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
              I had a bad experience buying deer blinds out of Many LA and I finally outed the guy. Between TBH and tigerdroppings OB board I got my money back. Within a few hours I had the guys arrest record and any other info I needed on him. I posted the info on any website he advertised from Texas to Alabama. I did all that over $800 so I would send the Calvary for 3k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good old Tiger Droppings detectives...

Comment

I have been watching ok so lets say you win . All right now you have to get the money , been down this road as well ..

You get a little at first then a little more than nothing , he has car troubles , got hurt medical bills no clients etc .

So I spent the coin , so now the lets call it 3g is more like 4.5-5 G invested sure I have paper showing he needs to pay , but it stopped so you make calls and nothing gets done .

Its not a top item on the list to get handled its a debt , so now you have the option to walk away or take him back to court and pay more money to start this over .

I still think some info is being left out here a few things just do not add up .. but maybe its just me .

3g deposit and no paper work??? no contract ?? that is a red flag right there ,

So either you made a very bad choice and jumped in feet first without looking , or you took the guy for his word?? maybe I missed this but did you speak to him on the phone upfront on this ??
                Last edited by HDWRENCH; 08-21-2018, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Don’t think I’d be returning the deposit either.

Comment

Outfitters are one step below used car salesmen.....maybe two steps. I hope you get your money back.

Comment

Yeah, any time you're in a situation where it's more expensive to chase your money than it is to just eat the loss, you're likely going to be on the losing end, despite what the agreement was.

Most of these outfitters live paycheck to paycheck and don't exactly have a whole lot of cash sitting around for the what-ifs. Think you're probably screwed on this one.

Comment

I have looked at several pronghorn outfitters in WY and all said the deposit is non-refundable. That seems pretty normal.

Since pilar won't provide details this is speculation on my part. But it is possible this outfitter's 60 days policy is from the date the deposit was made, not 60 days before the hunt (such as many stores have a 30 day return policy). That is just a guess on my part of course, but I am not sure why else the outfitter is refusing to honor his own policy.

Comment

Did you pay with a credit/debit card by chance? I have been in this situation before, I just made a dispute claim with my bank and they handled it all. I had to send them all the emails/text and conversations we had but they got all my money back with no problem. Never had to step a day in court or waste anymore of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                            Outfitters are one step below used car salesmen.....maybe two steps. I hope you get your money back.
                            You should probably start that with the word "some"

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              I guess this all depends on with whom you do business (both for hunting and car purchases). I have never had a bad experience with an outfitter and most have become friends.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                                Don’t think I’d be returning the deposit either.
                                Care to elaborate?

Comment

Working...
                                X