To Lease or Not to Lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
    If you already paid and agreed to the system in place, which it sounds like you have, I think you are sort of screwing the guy who writes the check for your pasture. If it was a big deal you could have paid more quickly. If you've never had to round up money from 6 or 7 grown men you might not see the merit in the system.

Otherwise fill your spot and collect the $ you are out. With that many deer on theur survey you ought to just hunt.
    My thoughts as well. If you agree to a system you don’t pick up your ball and go home just cause things didn’t turn out the way you like when everyone else abides by the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
      If you already paid and agreed to the system in place, which it sounds like you have, I think you are sort of screwing the guy who writes the check for your pasture. If it was a big deal you could have paid more quickly. If you've never had to round up money from 6 or 7 grown men you might not see the merit in the system.

Otherwise fill your spot and collect the $ you are out. With that many deer on theur survey you ought to just hunt.
      Not "screwing" anyone. Like I said, there is no ethical issue involved in withdrawing. All the details aren't relevant.
      The 'system' was NOT in place, but was a working/evolving theory when I committed.
      And I paid the day after viewing the property.
      The lease hasn't been signed yet. Lease manager was most concerned with getting commitments (payments) so he could finish electric and water hookups, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

You could always buy your own place and hunt all the zones.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
          You could always buy your own place and hunt all the zones.
          You got about 3 Mil I could borrow? I'm good for it, I promise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

I would say finish what you started. May turn out to be the best zone on the place. Feed them and they shall come.

Comment

Due to some minor mis-communication between me and the lease manager, I do not believe it will not be a problem for me to withdraw (in other words, there is no ethical issue to withdraw).
              [/QUOTE]

I guess screwing wasn't the right choice of words. The above statement kind of muddied the question.

It still sounds like a combination of buyer's remorse and/or discontentment with the boundary lines and draft selection.

If he is willing to refund your money then I guess no harm no foul. Sounds like a pretty agreeable kind of guy.

Comment

Only way to get to the top sometimes is outlast other hunters. I'd give it one year to actually figure out the place other then google earth and a few short visits. I joined a lease under similar circumstances but the lease manager and other hunters are like minded and the door of opportunity could open if I wish to make a move. I've been on leases where everything was community.....no thanks.

Comment

1. There's always a thousand reason not to, but if you don't... you will always wonder.
                  2. In your heart, what's the "right" thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                    Here is my quandary:
                    I have paid money to be on a new lease for 1,300 acres (MLD). My share is more than I have ever paid to be on a lease ($3,000; I've been paying $1,975), but this property is surveyed at 1 deer per 17 acres, is only 1.5 hours west of Fort Worth, and has electric/water hookups in a secluded campsite.
                    The property is divided into 7 'zones', and each hunter gets to pick his zone - in the order they paid their dues.
                    We just got a map showing the zones yesterday and my feelings are that there are three good zones, one that is not any good (very heavy cover, no water, with two small oil pump clearings), and three zones that are . . . meh (maybe better overall for rifle than bow, but possible bow setups). (Although the lease manager had initially said he was looking for 7 hunters, I believe he is capping it at 6 so the last that paid actually has a selection between 2 zones - he had said he would divide into 8 zones when he spoke of seeking 7 hunters.)
                    I am number 4 on the selection chart. Two of the best zones are already selected and the third is most likely taken (hunter #3 wants to take another hands-on look this weekend, but is leaning toward the last 'good' zone).
                    Due to some minor mis-communication between me and the lease manager, I do not believe it will not be a problem for me to withdraw (in other words, there is no ethical issue to withdraw).
                    I do not have another lease option at this point (after being on a game rich lease the last 12 years), but before this opportunity arose I had mentally resigned myself to being off any lease this year.
                    Also in the mix: I am changing a volunteer leadership role I've held at my church the past six years starting 9/1; we are beginning the process of a master bath remodel (mostly DIY); we need to replace all the windows in our 19 year old house.

So, there you have it. Stay on this (pricey to me) lease on a potentially 'not optimum' spot? Or withdraw?
                    Next, if I choose to withdraw, does this opportunity sound like something you would be interested in? (I'd like to help the lease manager fill my spot if I withdraw.)
                    I would drop it. 3k is a lot of money to spend on an 'ehh' experience. Spend a week and go out of state somewhere hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                      Take the heavy cover with the pumpjacks.

My thoughts from the very beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                        Take the heavy cover with the pumpjacks.
                        This

Comment

Heavy coverage, rule #1 : he who throws the most corn has what!
                          I would saturate the area.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                            Sounds to me like you are making excuses to leave this place and wanting someone to endorse it. Your lease, your money and your life you make your decisions and move on.
                            I agree!

Comment

If you really think it wouldn't be a big deal to withdraw this late do what you have to do, but i sure get tired of people bailing last minute as crunch time approaches and screwing others, especially when they're oblivious to it.

Comment

you have justified plenty of reasons to move on. had you drawn #1 would we be having this discussion about home and church stuff?

do everyone a favor and get out now. give the guy a chance to fill the spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X