Gas or diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twist View Post
    The 5.7 Hemi is about $45-50 per change as well using Mobil 1 oil and filter.

Also, if you change your own oil, don't buy from a parts store if at all possible. One of the few reasons I set foot in Wal Mart is because I can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 5w 30 oil for around $25 + tax. The parts stores around here are more than $10 above that cost for the same jug.

here is an example of just buying the oil to do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
      7k miles on 3 gallons of DEF is impressive

It is a 2018 ram 3500 4x4 dually btw. and yes I am very impressed with the DEF consumption. Also my average fuel mileage is sitting around 17mpg

Comment

I made the switch on 09 . I have no regrets with all the money I have saved with the v10.
        My brother (millman) and my buddy (BrettC) both made the switch to 2018 F250 gas trucks, They love them so far! They are both getting 16-17 on the hwy. and they both say they have plenty of power.

My oil changes cost $50

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post

It is a 2018 ram 3500 4x4 dually btw. and yes I am very impressed with the DEF consumption. Also my average fuel mileage is sitting around 17mpg

Do you pull with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went from a f250 6.0 to a f150 ecoboost and I definitely regret it but only BC the gas mileage is not even close to what they claimed. I was getting average 19 in my f250 now I average 11.9 but I really don’t drive that truck unless I’m pulling something and when I’m pulling I get about 7/8 mpg. The f150 can pull amazingly but still miss my big boy truck just so much more capable and well rounded truck for what I like to do for fun

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
              Do you pull with it?

Lol, I think you already know the answer if it's a dually getting 17 mpg.

Comment

To me there are a few factors

1. How often do you pull
                2. How much weight
                3. How long are you planning on keeping the truck

As far as routine maintenance like oil changes, filters and gas prices I think the cost of operation and ownership is close to the same. Your talking a few dollars a month difference which is not the biggest concern for me.

My concern is the initial up front cost of roughly $10,000 more for a diesel. Another concern of mine is repair cost that start happening around 100k on a diesel like injectors, turbo etc plus all the new dpf systems that cause so much trouble. If you get a new truck when the warranty runs out this isn’t a issue. But if you plan on keeping a diesel to 200,000 miles get ready for some serious repair bills.

Flip over to a 3/4 ton gas and I think all brand trucks are capable of reaching that 200,000 mike mark with minimal repair. I’ve seen this happen many times particularly with the gm 6.0

People talk about resale value on a diesel, heck it should sale for more, you paid $10,000 more for it.

I personally have a 2012 Cummins. My next truck I’m going to a 3/4 gas. I avg 13 mpg. Nothing special. Highway mpg is about 14.5
                From reports I’ve seen the new hemi 6.4 is getting 17 in the Highway. This will probably be what I go with on my next truck. We will see.
                I pull a heavy load about 6 to 8 times a year. I’m calling heavy 10,000 plus.
                Everything else is 2,500 to 6,000 lbs for me.
                I’ve tried to pay close attention to what other people are doing as well. The number of 3/4 ton and 1 ton gas trucks on the road in our area is growing drastically. Especially with the cattlemen in our area. They are hooked up on a weekly if not daily basis pulling triple axle cattle trailers, hay, equipment and seem to have no issue. If it works for them I feel like it can work for me.
                Just keep in mind that no gas will pull 10,000 lbs at 70 mph running 1700 rpm. A lot of people can’t stand the high revving. Gas has to run high rpm to get in the torque band.

Comment

My everyday driver is a 2015 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gas. At work I have a 2018 F250 6.7 diesel. The gas does everything the diesel does just slower... with less power. I also have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 that has been deleted and I was surprised how much more power is has compared to the stock 2018.

If you're pulling a trailer everyday get the diesel. The diesel is also alot more fun to drive too. I drive like an old man and only pull a trailer 3 or 4 times a month so the gas is great for me. I like not having to worry about 10-15k in engine repair bills as well. Sometimes when i pull out in front of traffic and step on the gas having a truck stuck in turtle mode sucks though.

Comment

Before I got the Cummings, I test drove a 2018 2500 with a 6.4. It had power but not until u hit 3, 000 rpm and above. It averaged around 10- 12 mpg on the highway. I went with the diesel because when I hook my 33 ft camper to it, mpg gonna drop down.to maybe 7. That was the case with the 1500 with the hemi, pulling the camper I was getting 5 mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                      Where are you finding DEF for that cheap? Cheapest I have found it is like $2/gallon at a truck stop DEF pump.
                      Hes paying a hunert bucks for a 7 qt gasser oil change, their giving him the def at cost!

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                        Do you pull with it?

yes. about 18k lbs. the average I quoted was my unloaded average

Comment

have had both and had all three brands Love my 12 cummins mega cab 3/4 ton pulls my toyhauler with ease .

I feel its about what you need the truck for . I tow the rig about once a month as we try to take a mini get away trip some times its twice a month .

MPG empty at 65 20-21 at 75 17 -18

Towing at 75 12-15 based on head wind or not last trip down to Port A i avged 13.8 based on real numbers with a phone app . Funny though its much more accurate towing for MPG in the dash than empty ??

Yes its tuned I have a Ezlynk with calibrated addiction tunes best thing I ever did with it . My MPG is much better trans shifts like a dream now , full delete as well

i think its about your needs more so that gas or diesel..

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                            The 6.4 hemi requires an odd oil. 0w-40 I think is what it was. And not all oil in that weight work. it must have certain additives or it will throw codes. Also many oil changing places and auto parts stores around me didnt carry it. I also go by what the owners manual says and it said 5k, not 10. My cummins says 10k so thats what I do
                            I have a 6.4 hemi and my oil changes run $100 also. That is full synthetic oil and no need to change every 5000 miles. My owners manual reccomends every 7500 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                              16-17 on highway doing 75-80mph. Seems to do better at that speed rather than 65-70. About 13 in town.
                              I call BS

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                                I call BS
                                I get 14.5 to 16 mpg hwy in mine driving from Porter to Deer Park daily and about 11 mpg around town. Thats with 35" tires so im sure he is getting 17.

Comment

Working...
                                X