Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Gas or diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
    Maintenance is actually cheaper on my cummins than my hemi.

Hemi oil change was $100 give or take every 5K miles. So every 20k miles was $500

Cummins Oil change is $100 every 10k miles and fuel filters at $200 every 15K. So at 20k miles it is $400

$100 cheaper to drive a diesel 20k miles than a hemi 6.4

as far as DEF. In 10K miles I have used $8 worth of DEF (that is pretty much nothing)
    You do know you can get a WIX filter on Amazon for like $65 and get a 1-1/8" socket and do your own filter changes. Takes 10 minutes tops. Screw paying a dealership $125 in labor for 10 minutes of work.

Comment

Having been a gas guy my entire life I went to diesel to tow my 5th wheel a couple years ago and I honestly don't think I ever want to go back to gas.

That being said there is about a $9800 cost increase from gas to diesel engines. On the Fords anyway.. Also history says oil is headed up and we are already under supplied on diesel in America so we might see at some point in the near future diesel having a hefty premium over gas.

Gas has plenty of power though it just isn't as elegant when it tows. High RPM on the slightest grades made it hard to keep it in cruise control. Where as my diesel just put it in cruise and forget that my 5ver is back there.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
        Go with a Diesel. Period!
        I agree. I smoke every thing else moving on the road pulling my camper with my F250 6.7L. If youre gonna pull...dont **** around.

Comment

Just get the diesel. Ya always better to have too much truck than not enough.

Comment

Hemi oil change was $100 give or take every 5K miles. So every 20k miles was $500

Cummins Oil change is $100 every 10k miles and fuel filters at $200 every 15K. So at 20k miles it is $400

as far as DEF. In 10K miles I have used $8 worth of DEF (that is pretty much nothing)
            Serious question... what year model and where are going where it costs $100 for a Hemi oil change?

The 2012 2500 I had with the 5.7 Hemi cost around $45-50 at any oil change place around town and at the dealership too.

If I recall, you have or had a 6.4 Hemi? Maybe they require the more expensive oil change like a couple Chevy work trucks we have? I don’t know cause all I have experience with is the 5.7.

Comment

I wanted a diesel when I got the 2012 I had. I didn’t necessarily need it at the time but I knew there would be times I could benefit from it but wouldnt be something a gas couldn’t handle. I went gas and to be honest, the only time I regretted it was when I sold it and the resale value of the gas was nothing compared to what it would have been if I had gone diesel. MY next truck will be a gas, I don’t need the diesel and don’t see needing it in a while. Now if I win the lottery I’ll get one in a different color for every day of the week, fat chance of that happening

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                Serious question... what year model and where are going where it costs $100 for a Hemi oil change?

The 2012 2500 I had with the 5.7 Hemi cost around $45-50 at any oil change place around town and at the dealership too.

If I recall, you have or had a 6.4 Hemi? Maybe they require the more expensive oil change like a couple Chevy work trucks we have? I don’t know cause all I have experience with is the 5.7.
                If he was paying $100 an oil change he was probably using synthetic oil which should be good for like 10,000 miles, not 5,000.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                  If he was paying $100 an oil change he was probably using synthetic oil which should be good for like 10,000 miles, not 5,000.
                  Ah very true, didn’t think about that. Good call JP

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                    Seems the same cost to me. Your math is wrong on the hemi. 4 oil changes in 20k miles is $400 at $100 each.
                    my bad, I suck at multi tasking lol

Comment

The 6.4 hemi requires an odd oil. 0w-40 I think is what it was. And not all oil in that weight work. it must have certain additives or it will throw codes. Also many oil changing places and auto parts stores around me didnt carry it. I also go by what the owners manual says and it said 5k, not 10. My cummins says 10k so thats what I do

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                        Where are you finding DEF for that cheap? Cheapest I have found it is like $2/gallon at a truck stop DEF pump.
                        when the truck was new it had a full tank of DEF (5 gallons I think). at 7K miles I put $5 worth in from the pump at loves because I was sitting at a little below half on my guage. I am now at 10K and have a little over half left on my guage. I figure it will take $3 to fill it back up or so.

Comment

$100 every 5000 miles for 20000 miles is $400. Unless there’s something else in there that wasn’t mentioned that’s about even.

Just read further down lol makes sense now
                          Last edited by TX03RUBI; 08-15-2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

The 5.7 Hemi is about $45-50 per change as well using Mobil 1 oil and filter.

Also, if you change your own oil, don't buy from a parts store if at all possible. One of the few reasons I set foot in Wal Mart is because I can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 5w 30 oil for around $25 + tax. The parts stores around here are more than $10 above that cost for the same jug.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              $100 every 5000 miles for 20000 miles is $400. Unless there’s something else in there that wasn’t mentioned that’s about even.

Just read further down lol makes sense now
                              I was using 25k and 20k and talking to a co worker lol. If I had used 25k it would look like this

hemi oil change every 5K so 5 changes in 25K =$500 @$100 each

Cummins oil change every 10K so 2 changes at 25K = $200 @ $100 each + $200 filter change at 15k = $400

sure its real close, but diesel wins in my opinion

Comment

when the truck was new it had a full tank of DEF (5 gallons I think). at 7K miles I put $5 worth in from the pump at loves because I was sitting at a little below half on my guage. I am now at 10K and have a little over half left on my guage. I figure it will take $3 to fill it back up or so.
                                7k miles on 3 gallons of DEF is impressive

Comment

Working...
                                X