No announcement yet.

Need saltwater fly line advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most people can't cast a full 85' line, much less 120' - especially with a bulky fly in the wind. Shorter fly line = more backing capacity in case you get a big one that wants to run forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Most people can't cast 100' anyway, especially with a bulky fly in the wind. Shorter fly line = more backing capacity in case you get a big one that wants to run forever.
      Bingo. . I can do 100, but it means nothing. And definitely not with a fly attached, in the wind, trying to hit a moving target. This is why it cracks me up when people rave about a rod because "80 feet feels effortless" when they cast it on the concrete at the fly shop. Okay buddy, but can you hit that fish moving from right to left at 20 feet? In my experience, a lot can't. And those shots are what will make or break a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
        That line will do fine.

There is really no advantage to a 120 ft line for fishing that I can think of. Most of your shots will probably be close. You'd be surprised at the amount of the people you see posting pictures of fish they catch all over the world that cannot consistently present to fish at 60 ft. There are very few people who can do it at 100-120.
        Most people can't cast a full 85' line, much less 120' - especially with a bulky fly in the wind. Shorter fly line = more backing capacity in case you get a big one that wants to run forever.

True for me, too! I may just cut the back 30 ft off!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          True for me, too! I may just cut the back 30 ft off!
          I wouldn't cut it off. It won't hurt anything.

Probably 95% of my redfish shots are under 40 ft. I'd say that's probably true for most of the Texas coast. So you should be fine.

Comment

What reel are you using and how much backing do you have on it with the 120' line, Randy? If you have at least 100 yards of backing already, I bet you're good for reds. Bonefish might be a different story.

Comment

What reel are you using and how much backing do you have on it with the 120' line, Randy? If you have at least 100 yards of backing already, I bet you're good for reds. Bonefish might be a different story.
              A Sage 2880 for my 8 wt Sage Approach 9 ft and for my Echo2 9 ft, and Lamson Konic for my 9ft 6 in 9 wt, an older 2 piece Sage rod.

Any reason to overweight either with a one wt heavier line? Will that help with the wind?
              Last edited by Burnadell; 08-13-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Over weight probably won't help nearly as much as the short head on that line will. I'd fish what you got.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                  Over weight probably won't help nearly as much as the short head on that line will. I'd fish what you got.
                  Thanks, Bob. We have booked your recommendation, Chuck Naiser, and I told him that you recommended him.

Comment

Those short taper saltwater lines are pretty much overweighted already. They're made for tossing bulky flies in the wind, so the short heavy taper shooting head part is good for most rods. If you have an extremely fast/stiff rod, you might benefit from overweighting it, but I don't think that is the case for the rods you have (right?).

Comment

Rio Summer Redfish WF 8# on my TFO

Comment

Tracking, Good info!

Comment

Lot of good information in this thread for us buggy whip fishermen!! About the only thing I might add is depending on whether you will be wading or fishing from the boat, I'd try to have one rigged with a weight forward shooting taper that floats, and one rigged with a sinking taper for fishing a bit deeper. If it cools off with a front or something when you're there, those reds (and trout too) will hang back and not get up quite as shallow. Also a sinking taper is murder on flounder in the fall. They to me are much easier to get a good hook up on a sinking taper. Good luck Randy!! Hope you wear out both those buggy whips on big ol' redfish!! To me, a 30" red on a fly rod in 18" of water is like getting a shot at a 170" buck with your bow!! That's some serious excitement when they cannot dive down deep... all they can do is run and make your drag scream!! Hard to beat that!
                          Also, that 6wt would provide some great excitement/sport if you happen to get into the trout too.

Presonally, I find that I can whip a big red quicker with my 9wt set up than a conventional bait caster. With a 9wt fast action rod, you can put some serious pressure on a fish if need be.

Comment

Well, why didn't I think to ask Saltwater Slick for tips on fishing saltwater?

Thanks, Charlie. We will be in a boat, I guess, but not sure. I have quite a few questions for our guide but haven't bothered him with them yet...he is busy with current clients, and I have not wanted to bother him too early. As someone here posted, he is laconic, and that has been my experience with his emails.

Good idea on bringing my 6 wt for trout. I just happen to own a new one courtesy of MuyGrande.

Comment

Thanks, Charlie. We will be in a boat, I guess, but not sure. I have quite a few questions for our guide but haven't bothered him with them yet...he is busy with current clients, and I have not wanted to bother him too early. As someone here posted, he is laconic, and that has been my experience with his emails.

Good idea on bringing my 6 wt for trout. I just happen to own a new one courtesy of MuyGrande.

Comment

You are going with Naiser right? You are gonna be casting out of the boat 99% of the time would be my guess unless you find a pond with a hard bottom and a bunch of tailers.

I'd leave the 6 wt at home. Wind and size of flies being the main reason. Also, being "sporting" is fun and all, but I think you should put the rod to them and land them as quick and cleanly as possible if you are planning to catch and release.

All those lines will work just fine.

If you are going to practice anything, I'd practice shooting casts at a bucket without false casting or false casting 90 degrees from where you want to cast.

It is good to be able to cast far, but it isn't necessary most of the time. I caught my first redfish on a fly rod out of a poling skiff at less than the length of the rod away.

Spoon flies, crab imitations, and small, sparse clousers in any color so long as it is white. Fly selection usually isn't that big a deal. I don't tie, but I have some serious redfishing buddies that do. Naiser will provide flies, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Comment

Working...
                                X