WoW!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WoW!!!!

What a morning, 37 degrees this morning at the deer lease in Newcastle! I was very fortunate on Saturday and took 2 pigs (one arrow, complete pass through and got a second) and a nice mature doe so we have meat for the second opening weekend in two weeks so I decided to sleep in this morning. Being a morning person, it was still dark when I awoke so I decided to go for a walk and watch the sunrise. We have a bluff that overlooks a 95 acre wheat filed and it's a great observation point. While listening to the world wake up, birds, turkey gobbles, sandhill cranes, I spotted a nice buck out in the wheat field, then a doe, and another. By 8:00 I had glassed 11 different deer and watched two flocks of turkeys meander around in the field. To me that was better than the previous morning stuck in a ground blind even though I was successfull taking a couple pigs. From what I have read on here, I think a lot of us would agree that this is the biggest reason we hunt. Not for the kill but to be one with nature and enjoy all its grandure. Add the fact that I finally got to wear a jacket and it was a perfect morning!! Fall has to be the best season!!

Sanford

You got that right,This is the best time of the year. Sounds like you have a great morning. I miss that. Back when I had a place to hunt. I did what you did this morning many times. Congrats on you pigs...

Comment

Salute!!!!!!!

Comment

"I think a lot of us would agree that this is the biggest reason we hunt. Not for the kill but to be one with nature and enjoy all its grandure." - Shough

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats on the pigs and doe. I hear what you are saying. I prefer a tripod for what you can see and hear and a ground blind for the advantages of hunting undetected.

One of my most memorable times period was returning back from my last leg of my trapline. My dog team was feeling frisky and I felt tired from doing three days work in two. Not much light up there in Canada during the cold winter months so it was dark fast. I stopped the team once we cleared the steep mountainous area, climbed into the dog sleigh pulling up the tarp to keep me warm and hiked the team off. They knew their way home. The night was cold, about 35 below, and horefrost was falling from the trees sparkling like diamonds in the full moon as they settled on the trail. The sound of dog bells sounded like a song in the stillness of the night as they lunged forward. Then I glanced at the side of the sleigh and saw those frozen crystals being popped up from the runner looking like sparks from steel and flint. The only sound was the swooshing of ice crystals being shattered by dogs and sleigh and those dog bells as they followed the trail home. The earth had fallen asleep and we were dashing home to join it.

Thanks for making me remember why I endured those 60 below temperatures on the trail with only my 7 dog dogteam and that which God placed there for company for up to a week at a time.

To me the killing is a necessity for my diet but the outdoor part of it is equally important.

Comment

Congrats on the doe and pigs. Watching the world around you wake up is a great way to relax.

Comment

Working...
            X