Parenting Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parenting Input

All that are parents know how difficult this task is. What age is too young to "force" a child to play a particular thing? We signed our 4 year old up for soccer and when the fist practice rolled around he didn't want to go and now doesn't want to play. I'm stuck between, no you wanted to play you will play, and the fact that he's only 4 and doesn't understand the monetary aspect of it. It's not like it's the middle of the season and he doesn't want to play anymore. Thoughts on the situation?

Not Yet!

Comment

At that age I would make him go but don't put pressure on them. Sometimes you just have to make them go but keep an eye on them and see how they respond. If they really don't like it talk with them and find out why then make the decision if you should keep going or find another thing to do. My daughter absolutely loved gymnastics and went very far with it. Never not once in 7 years did I have to make her go. My son was in football, baseball and swimming. I remember he didn't want to do swimming but we made him try it and he ended up loving it. You're the parent and at this moment in their life (childhood) you know whats best for them not them. However, sometimes things just aren't a fit so don't force it once you see that and don't let yourself be blinded. JMO

Comment

Never force anything on a child. They will end up hating it even more. Just take it as lesson learned and move on to something else. My daughter was the same for soccer. A year later she wants to play and now loves it.

If he was older I would maybe take a different approach but being that he is only 4 he won't understand.

Comment

My 2 cents.... 4 year olds don't get to decide what is best for them.

Comment

He's 4. There's plenty of time for him to play sports (or not) when he is older.

Comment

Take him but dont force him to play but let him know hes going to be there regardless because he said he wanted to.
              Also, bribes.... however im with the kid.. soccer's for girls.

Comment

Never too young i think. My dad made me finish anything I started, and I had to at least play one sport each season. To this day it's a lesson that I'll keep forever, and honestly separates me from alot of the stereotypical "millenials". That said I wouldn't teach the lesson from. A monetary point, just about soing what you said you would do. Tell him he doesn't have to do it next year, but he needs to finish this season since he started. It sucks at first and he might get mad, but a valuable lesson nonetheless.

Comment

remember it should always be fun for them especially at that age but sometimes you gotta give them a little nudge. its a fine line but you'll get it pretty quickly when you start to see things in that context.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                    At that age I would make him go but don't put pressure on them. Sometimes you just have to make them go but keep an eye on them and see how they respond. If they really don't like it talk with them and find out why then make the decision if you should keep going or find another thing to do. My daughter absolutely loved gymnastics and went very far with it. Never not once in 7 years did I have to make her go. My son was in football, baseball and swimming. I remember he didn't want to do swimming but we made him try it and he ended up loving it. You're the parent and at this moment in their life (childhood) you know whats best for them not them. However, sometimes things just aren't a fit so don't force it once you see that and don't let yourself be blinded. JMO
                    The problem is, he doesn't even want to go at all. We got to the field for the first practice and he "forgot his water bottle" and would not get out of the car. So we left and I've asked him a few times since if he wanted to play and go try and he says "no". So, technically, he hasn't even started it... It's not like we made it to the first practice and now he doesn't want to play.

He just recently played Tball in the spring and we had no problems with it. I coached him, though. I did not sign up to coach soccer because A. I don't know anything about soccer. B. I wanted to see how he would do without me being the coach.

He says that he doesn't want to go because "I'm not the coach" but I'm not sure on the truth in that, lol.
                    Last edited by Blake8504; 08-08-2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Well there you go.. you're trying to make a soccer daughter out of a Baseball Star...

c'mon dad!!!!

Comment

I’ve got a 3mo old so I have no input from actual experience but I would say 4 is too young. I used to ref youth soccer and until about 7-8 they just play bumble bee soccer and play with their friends. It should be fun for him so if he doesn’t want to I wouldn’t force it

Comment

Originally posted by Blake8504 View Post
                          The problem is, he doesn't even want to go at all. We got to the field for the first practice and he "forgot his water bottle" and would not get out of the car. So we left and I've asked him a few times since if he wanted to play and go try and he says "no".

He just recently played Tball in the spring and we had no problems with it. I coached him, though. I did not sign up to coach soccer because A. I don't know anything about soccer. B. I wanted to see how he would do without me being the coach.

He says that he doesn't want to go because "I'm not the coach" but I'm not sure on the truth in that, lol.
                          Your still the "Coach" from now until the time he moves out of the house.

Comment

sounds to me like he's just pushing boundaries and being a brat honestly. sounds like he wants it his way... gotta love kids but IMO when you give them clear boundaries and rules they are much happier than when they get to do only what they want. Other life lessons there too.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                              Well there you go.. you're trying to make a soccer daughter out of a Baseball Star...

c'mon dad!!!!
                              haha, Exactly. I even was talking to him about it yesterday seeing if he wanted to go. He ended up saying "will you get my baseball stuff down so I can hit"

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                              Your still the "Coach" from now until the time he moves out of the house.
                              This is true! But explaining that to him, may prove difficult.

Comment

Working...
                              X