Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Deer camp fire pits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a recovered piece of Keystone XL pipeline that was ran thru our property a couple years ago. Needless to say, I doubt I will ever have an issue with it rusting out and it holds heat well.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
      Not exactly my deer camp, but I do have more deer around here than you can shake a stick at. I had this built a few years back and I think it serves us well and something similar would work fine at camp. I had them inset 4 fire bricks on each quad about an inch and these support the 36" grate I already had for my tank head grill you see in the clip. Works perfectly. You can see them working the grate in at about the 2:10 mark.

Back Yard Fire Pit Build Timelapse - YouTube
      Did they use a special high temp mortar when they laid the fire brick?

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
        Did they use a special high temp mortar when they laid the fire brick?

It looks like it. Notice they didn't have the wheel barrow of mortar until they started the exterior. That's because the high temp stuff (fire clay, or heat stop) comes in buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Deer camp fire pits

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          It looks like it. Notice they didn't have the wheel barrow of mortar until they started the exterior. That's because the high temp stuff (fire clay, or heat stop) comes in buckets.

Roger that! I noticed that the fire brick in my outdoor fireplace has a very thin set of mortar between it. I guess it doesn't take much.

Last edited by Stolle; 08-17-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Deer camp fire pits

Thin mortar joints are the way to go. They normally lay those fire brick on their side, so it takes a little more. The way yours is done wouldn't take much at all. I normally send about a gallon of fire clay per 50 fire brick.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 08-17-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Thin mortar joints are the way to go. They normally lay those fire brick on their side, so it takes a little more. The way yours is done wouldn't take much at all. I normally send about a gallon of fire clay per 50 fire brick.

Good information!

Comment

Hang Em High

One of my favorite places in the world is hanging out by this thing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171021_195725-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	24550469

Comment

Great ideas!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X