Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to transport a ladder stand in the field

Good morning:

My son and I are planning to do some hunting on public land this fall. The areas we want to hunt do not allow you to leave your stand overnight. Unfortunately, they also don't permit the use of powered vehicles in the hunt areas. I'm a disabled veteran with back and mobility issues, so I'll probably use a 15 ft. tall ladder stand (my son will use a hang on or climbing tree stand).

My question is how do you guys who use them transport a ladder stand in the field? I know Cabela's sells a cart especially for transporting ladder stands, but it's pricey, and looks like it only transports the top part of the ladder stand, and not the ladder sections.

Your advice, including any photos, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

Don’t use a ladder stand. Buy a folding tripod, it is much easier to carry. I used a 15’ foldable tripod several times on long carries and if your son can carry his climber as well as the tripod over his shoulder, you should be fine. You may not get as high as you’d like but the tripod will be immensely easier to manage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Or a pop up blind. Lots of them can be carried like a backpack. Your son can take it in for you.

Comment

This:
        Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Or a pop up blind. Lots of them can be carried like a backpack. Your son can take it in for you.

Comment

This^^^^ maybe something your son could haul out there for ya.

Comment

You might look at using a pop up and sit on the ground. Easier to carry and if you brush it in it will work just as good and safer than climbing.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

I didn’t mention pop up because it sounds like he wants to be up high. My experience with a pop up on public land is that you better be ready to shoot because once those skittish deer see you they ain’t hanging out long.

Comment

disable veteran.. hauling and toting a ladder stand and climbing as well. Sounds like a recipe for further disability. I gave up hunting up high a few years ago, and stick to the ground.

Comment

Lots of deer killed from the ground. I'd do that before I hauled a ladder stand in and out every day.

Comment

I’ve used a game cart before and just put it together when there. Then you have a cart if you get lucky. I’ve locked it to a tree and been done with it. If somebody stole it I was more then willing to buy another cheap one vs hauling it in and out for $80 replacement.

Comment

Bolt a bicycle wheel on each side of the frame where the ladder stand and seat come together and you can drag it behind you. Also, If the ladder is in sections you can take a section or two off and stack them together to shorten the whole thing up for transport. You can also use this as a game cart.

Comment

Don't know of an easy way, but a guy on my lease strapped a 2 wheel dolly to the bottom of his ladder stand a couple years ago to pull behind his ATV. I guess that would work for walking in also. Don't have any pictures, but it worked.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good evening:

Thank you so much to all of you for your thoughts, ideas, advice and recommendations. Last year, my son hunted some of the places we are going to this season, and he said the deer are very wary and skittish. My thought was that we should be off of the ground - even at a small height such as 8-10ft. - and that might improve our chances for a successful hunt. I am leery of climbing a tree and sitting in a stand, thus my thoughts of hunting from a ladder stand. I do have a nice 8ft. tall tripod stand, but it doesn't fold or collapse, and would be challenging to transport in the field.

You guys have given me some good thoughts, though, and I'm going to think about ways of modifying the ladder stand and tripod for easier transport. I'll follow up and provide an update of what I decide to do.

Again, many thanks to all of you for your thoughts and consideration.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Take camo burlap some loppers a saw and some zip ties. Build a ground blind...if u want to leave it just leave out the burlap and zip ties. Use bailing wire.

Comment

I have had a ladder out on public for 3 years. They have a 72 hour rule. Lol..

Comment

Working...
                              X