Feeder Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
    Lol that ladder in the bed of the pickup reminds me of something OSHA would show in safety videos...... whatever works though

Lol

How about the rope I used to jack the feeder up and tied off to the Florida white oak tree [emoji269].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Easy way to find out if your timer is limiting the speed(Amps) of the motor is to hook the motor directly to the battery, If it throws corn further without the timer hooked up then your timer is limiting the speed. Most timers I've seen and I've seen a lot, don't limit the speed when they are on the high or max setting. Just be prepared when you hook the motor directly to the battery that you are not in the way of the corn being thrown because as soon as you hook it up it will start throwing.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
        No ,,,, my [emoji199] are getting taller and I think are learning to jump.

Bottom of my feeder motor get set to 8.5 feet from the ground, up from 8 feet.

Humm...ok...you need shorter bears

Comment

Speak of the devil. It's the deal of the week OP

Comment

Feeder Motor

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Humm...ok...you need shorter bears
            Lol good one !

No

I need my 10mm

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Speak of the devil. It's the deal of the week OP

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=701147

You see those “doors “ on the spinner on this feeder ? I have come to realize these are the BEST spinners ! They keep the birds [emoji211] out from picking and spilling the corn [emoji535] non stop all day, everyday.

Another unit I like that I bought from Texas Supply is called the Tundra Quest. It’s unit box is a bit bigger so you can use a bigger 12 volt battery that holds more amps and lasts longer. They don’t have the gravity doors on the spinner like this one, but it can be modified.

Also the Tundra Quest clock has feeds set up DAILY! So you can throw more corn on any day you please or less corn on any day you please.

Comment

Voltage is what controls DC motor speed. Current is what controls DC motor torque. Torque and speed are inversely proportional. All DC motors have a torque speed curve. If you want high speed with a given current output capacity you have to settle for less torque. If you want a lot of torque you have to settle for lower speed.

Feeder timers control the speed the motor runs at by either changing the output voltage or if it's super fancy using pulse width modulation (PMW). So 3 things limit how fast your motor spins...how much voltage is supplied at the run command, how much torque the motor will provide at the max motor driver current, and the torque speed curve of the motor.

99.9999% of all the motors everyone runs on their timers are cheapo made in China units.

Like someone said above, if you want to find out if your timer is limiting you or your motor, connect the motor directly to a hot battery and see how it spins. If it hauls arse your timer is the governor. If it doesn't spin as fast as you like, then you have to get a different motor.

Also, most DC motors are very forgiving to over voltage. If you want real fast, get a high speed 6V motor and run it on a 12V controller. It will run twice as fast as its nameplate rating.
                Last edited by 175gr7.62; 08-07-2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Good info

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                    Voltage is what controls DC motor speed. Current is what controls DC motor torque. Torque and speed are inversely proportional. All DC motors have a torque speed curve. If you want high speed with a given current output capacity you have to settle for less torque. If you want a lot of torque you have to settle for lower speed.

Feeder timers control the speed the motor runs at by either changing the output voltage or if it's super fancy using pulse width modulation (PMW). So 3 things limit how fast your motor spins...how much voltage is supplied at the run command, how much torque the motor will provide at the max motor driver current, and the torque speed curve of the motor.

99.9999% of all the motors everyone runs on their timers are cheapo made in China units.

Like someone said above, if you want to find out if your timer is limiting you or your motor, connect the motor directly to a hot battery and see how it spins. If it hauls arse your timer is the governor. If it doesn't spin as fast as you like, then you have to get a different motor.

Also, most DC motors are very forgiving to over voltage. If you want real fast, get a high speed 6V motor and run it on a 12V controller. It will run twice as fast as its nameplate rating.

You know you’re sheeeet ! Thanks !

So what do you suppose is the problem I ended up with when I used a American Hunter timer/clock on my Wild Game Nation unit, set up for full 100% broadcast but prolly throws half speed ?

Yes the clock is a China made garbage pail but they charge $25 American US dollars for them.

I mean to a layman such as myself. A wire hooked to a hot 12 volt battery should get the full brunt provided the clock is set to high speed. But I’m not getting it.

Wonder if I tried the other 2 speeds to see if they worked in reverse ?

I’m done with American Hunter clocks ! Unless I get this figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
                      You know you’re sheeeet ! Thanks !

So what do you suppose is the problem I ended up with when I used a American Hunter timer/clock on my Wild Game Nation unit, set up for full 100% broadcast but prolly throws half speed ?

Yes the clock is a China made garbage pail but they charge $25 American US dollars for them.

I mean to a layman such as myself. A wire hooked to a hot 12 volt battery should get the full brunt provided the clock is set to high speed. But I’m not getting it.

Wonder if I tried the other 2 speeds to see if they worked in reverse ?

I’m done with American Hunter clocks ! Unless I get this figured out.

If you have a meter you can check the voltage being supplied to the motor when the timer tells it to run.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

I'm sorry but 12V Timers do not limit the voltage, they limit the Amperage going to the motor to change the speed at least on the ones I've tested and I've tested several. It doesn't matter what setting you have the timer on(low,medium,high) it will still put out 12V but the amperage will be changed depending on each individual timer. For example, on high it will put out 12V and 2 amps, on medium 12V 1.5 amps and on low 12V 1 amp.

Comment

West Texas Feeder supplies, Or a Spin Tech assembly

Comment

I used to buy new blower motors for mid-70's Chevy pickups @ the auto parts store for $17 back when I was building feeders regularly. You could get 'em for $5 (or less) @ the wrecking yard.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                              I'm sorry but 12V Timers do not limit the voltage, they limit the Amperage going to the motor to change the speed at least on the ones I've tested and I've tested several. It doesn't matter what setting you have the timer on(low,medium,high) it will still put out 12V but the amperage will be changed depending on each individual timer. For example, on high it will put out 12V and 2 amps, on medium 12V 1.5 amps and on low 12V 1 amp.

Makes sense, even though I have no clue. But these batteries are tested for amps not just volts.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post

Sorry, but physics don’t work that way. What you checked is a PWM controller.

If you want to be exact, you CAN vary motor speed using current by changing the magnetic flux across field windings or by changing the armature resistance. That is super inefficient and you’d have multiple wires coming off your motor. All feeders just have a positive and negative wire going to the motor.

Motor power equals voltage times current. If you want to spin it faster you need more power. If your voltage is fixed (using a battery) you have to supply more current. 12v 50% duty cycle will draw roughly half the current of 12v 100% duty cycle. 12v pulses at 50% duty cycle will run half the speed of 100% duty cycle.

Comment

Working...
                                X